Clear Plastic Fin Stock (i.e. old Estes models)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Anyone know a source/substitute for clear plastic fin stock like what was used in Estes kits decades ago? Estes part numbers were CFS-40 and CFS-20B, .040" and .020" respectively. Thanks in advance.

The original material was butyrate sheet, in part so that dope thinner could be used as an adhesive. Perhaps a polycarbonate sheet would be a viable substitube.

.I always thought that was the rather brittle kind, but it is an excellent idea as I have plenty of those laying around. What's the best way to cut them to size?

Umm... "carefully"?

Straight lines aren't too much of a problem. You can score the plastic and snap it. Curves take more work. Cut oversize and carefully cut, nibble, file, sand to shape.

Umm... "carefully"?

Straight lines aren't too much of a problem. You can score the plastic and snap it. Curves take more work. Cut oversize and carefully cut, nibble, file, sand to shape.
I was wondering what type of jigsaw blade, like a diamond coated edge model would be best to cut out a corner of a fin?

I was wondering what type of jigsaw blade, like a diamond coated edge model would be best to cut out a corner of a fin?

I haven't had much luck cutting curves. The plastic (CD covers) is brittle and cracks easily. The only thing I've found to cut curves is a hot knife or a variable temp soldering iron turned down. Sanding or grinding seems to work, if you go slowly.

Back