Clear Plastic Fin Stock (i.e. old Estes models)

Reaction score
Anyone know a source/substitute for clear plastic fin stock like what was used in Estes kits decades ago? Estes part numbers were CFS-40 and CFS-20B, .040" and .020" respectively. Thanks in advance.

BEC

Reaction score
The original material was butyrate sheet, in part so that dope thinner could be used as an adhesive. Perhaps a polycarbonate sheet would be a viable substitube.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
.I always thought that was the rather brittle kind, but it is an excellent idea as I have plenty of those laying around. What's the best way to cut them to size?

Umm... "carefully"?

Straight lines aren't too much of a problem. You can score the plastic and snap it. Curves take more work. Cut oversize and carefully cut, nibble, file, sand to shape.

hobie1dog

Subaholic
Reaction score
Umm... "carefully"?

Straight lines aren't too much of a problem. You can score the plastic and snap it. Curves take more work. Cut oversize and carefully cut, nibble, file, sand to shape.
I was wondering what type of jigsaw blade, like a diamond coated edge model would be best to cut out a corner of a fin?

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I was wondering what type of jigsaw blade, like a diamond coated edge model would be best to cut out a corner of a fin?

I haven't had much luck cutting curves. The plastic (CD covers) is brittle and cracks easily. The only thing I've found to cut curves is a hot knife or a variable temp soldering iron turned down. Sanding or grinding seems to work, if you go slowly.

Latest posts