Clear Plastic Body Tube Material - Best Way To Bore Through Holes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any suggestions as to the best method to bore some small vent holes through clear plastic body tube material?

In this case I'm using the Apogee Components Clear Airframe Tube 24MM

Maybe heat the blade of a hobby knife with a match, and then use it to bore through the tube?

Thanks!

View attachment 517375

It depends on the type of plastic, but I would possibly just start by heating a nail with a propane torch and push it through. Use an indoor/non-galvanized nail, as galvanizing is not ideal to heat. If you see green flame when heating with the propane torch, stop.

Some plastics do catch fire and keep burning, while others tend to self-extinguish or not really burn at all. Best plan would be to do whatever outside and have a bucket of water nearby to drop it in if it turns out to be made of the bad kind of plastic. Gloves, tongs etc. to keep you away from whatever is probably best for the first try.

Sandy.

From link in OP's post.
"Material: Clear Polycarbonate "

You can Drill this. Use a New Sharp drill bit, Medium speed.
Be sure to have a backing inside the tube. A cthick coupler with a bulkhead inside should work to prevent the tube distorting.
https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=polycarbonate+drilling+holes
Or as suggested, melt a hole with a hot nail. About 300°C.
Practice on an old CD (compact disc) to get a feel of needed temperature and technique.

If you have access to a soldering iron (fine or blunt tip), this will work for PS, PP, & PET/PETE. Be sure to have a throwaway wet sponge or something to wipe the tip on to get the melted plastic off. Fumes are bad for you too.
Don't know about polycarbonate though drilling seems appropriate. Good luck with the build!

I have a set of regular twist drill bits set in dowel handles (sold long ago by the late, lamented ACE R/C company). They are what I use for this for anything bigger than what can be done with a T-pin. In particular the 1/16 and 3/32 bits are great for drilling altimeter vent holes in clear payload tubes.

For a one-off use, one could improvise a handle on a twist drill bit with masking tape (or maybe chuck it up in a tap handle or something). A variable speed Dremel holding such a bit, on very low speed, also works.

IMG_5655.jpg

Last edited:
Back