clear plastic almost-payload sections?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderburner

Reaction score
I thought (for a few minutes) that I was onto something today. My son handed me a tennis ball tube and it triggered an immediate bout of "rocket part?!!?" curiosity. The main part of the tube was clear, no visible seam, relatively stout, about 6 inches long and about 3 inches in diameter. That last part is what got me excited.

After trimming off the header ring (metal, molded to a different diam) and down to the constant-diameter part of the tube, I found out that the diameter was pretty clearly only 2.90 inches. Rats.

FWIW, the first tube I checked was from a Wilson-brand 3 ball pack. This was the one with relatively firm sidewalls. This might still fit someone's needs, but it doesn't look like it will come close to fitting 3 inch body tube cleanly. I am thinking of trying to find a 3 inch clear plastic Easter-egg nose cone and making a see-thru-Fat Boy.

The second tube I checked was from a Penn-brand tennis ball 3-pack. This had noticably wimpier sidewalls, and the package label was a plastic wrap that had been glued to the outside and left a visible mess behind after peeling off the label. Also measured 2.90 inches diameter. Rats.

Maybe someone else can find a use for these?

I thought (for a few minutes) that I was onto something today. My son handed me a tennis ball tube and it triggered an immediate bout of "rocket part?!!?" curiosity. The main part of the tube was clear, no visible seam, relatively stout, about 6 inches long and about 3 inches in diameter. That last part is what got me excited.

After trimming off the header ring (metal, molded to a different diam) and down to the constant-diameter part of the tube, I found out that the diameter was pretty clearly only 2.90 inches. Rats.

FWIW, the first tube I checked was from a Wilson-brand 3 ball pack. This was the one with relatively firm sidewalls. This might still fit someone's needs, but it doesn't look like it will come close to fitting 3 inch body tube cleanly. I am thinking of trying to find a 3 inch clear plastic Easter-egg nose cone and making a see-thru-Fat Boy.

The second tube I checked was from a Penn-brand tennis ball 3-pack. This had noticably wimpier sidewalls, and the package label was a plastic wrap that had been glued to the outside and left a visible mess behind after peeling off the label. Also measured 2.90 inches diameter. Rats.

Maybe someone else can find a use for these?

Get Sandman to turn you a nose cone and transition for it and make yourself an upscale X-Ray, Scrambler, or scratch rocket with oversized payload. :cool:

But it still wouldn't be big enough to put our dog in (the one that pees and poops inside the house)....unless maybe I left out the parachute section....hmmm

But it still wouldn't be big enough to put our dog in (the one that pees and poops inside the house)....unless maybe I left out the parachute section....hmmm

I don't think parachutes are allowed in pee-n-pooper rockets. :D

Like TB I'd save them for another time than just turn a NC and Transition to fit the need.

If you looking for a clear payload section in 3" you could look at polyethylene mailing tubes they come in all sorts of diameters in 4foot lengths.

Clear Payload Bodytube Storage-b_08-27-06.jpg

I think you should order a custom turned nosecone or transition and it'd make a cool scratch rocket.

I love how micromeister has a solution for everything.:roll:

If you ever have a problem just ask him, he's probably dealt with it before.:D

You could also roll a conical nose out of overhead sheet to maintain the whole "clear rocket" idea. I've used it for egglofter shrouds on models powered by motors up to and including the AT 18mm D10, so when rolled into cones, it becomes plenty strong. Make the shoulder from a section of the clear tube with a slice cut out, and you're golden.

I think you should order a custom turned nosecone or transition and it'd make a cool scratch rocket.

I love how micromeister has a solution for everything.:roll:

If you ever have a problem just ask him, he's probably dealt with it before.:D

Is there a problem with That Upscaler?
When you've been doing this hobby for 40+ years, Ya do see things along the way. Passing on solutions to the next batch of builders is I thought, the purpose of TRF.

Last edited:
FWIW

The classic low power clear payload source has been the plastic tubes used to protect fluorescent lights.

For a non-turned solution, using the overhead plastic like cardstock builders use cardstock looks promising.

Of course, I personally would consider vacuum forming lexan would be neat to try. I'm unbalanced tht way.

John

Yep your right; Fluorescent Lamp covers can work for T8 (1.0" ID) about BT-50 .976"OD and T12 (1.5"ID) undersize for BT-60 1.637"OD. and do come in a couple tempting colors (Amber,Yellow, Red and Green) as well as clear. Still as you can see they don't readily match up to our Standard body tube that well. Further there are NONE for them majority of model body sizes under BT-50 then larger then say BT-55 (1.325"OD).

Some of the Clear Mailing tubes are a very nice close fit, particularly the one that almost perfectly matches the ID of BT-80 standard body tubing.

Obviously you've never tried vacuum forming Polycarbonate (Lexan) LOL!!! it's a true PITA having to be pre-dried for a day and then it sometimes still bubbles badly. I'm a huge fan of Polycarbonates for our use...but vacuum forming isn't one of them;) Clear Acetate Butyrates would be a much better chioce.

If any are interested in molding your own canopies and other parts there is a really nifty little molding machine and materials available from www.warmplastic.com very nifty stuff and good people to work with.
Hope this helps.

Back