Clear Payload Tube for Estes Big Daddy HELP PLEASE!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to build a Big Daddy, but add a clear plastic payload tube. OD is 3.0” and ID is 2.93”. Does anyone know if one exists? Thanks for the help! 🚀🚀🚀
I understand the need for a specific OD, but why the specific ID? I ask because if your ID spec is flexible, you'll have a much easier time finding a clear payload bay tube.

But as to your question, yes, there should be plenty of clear plastic tubes with a 3" OD. I suggest you look for Lexan/polycarb tubes (McMaster Carr has some, for example), as they're less likely to crack/shatter when impacted with something, like the ground. Polycarb is a lot a lot easier to work with, like when drilling holes.

I understand the need for a specific OD, but why the specific ID? I ask because if your ID spec is flexible, you'll have a much easier time finding a clear payload bay tube.

But as to your question, yes, there should be plenty of clear plastic tubes with a 3" OD. I suggest you look for Lexan/polycarb tubes (McMaster Carr has some, for example), as they're less likely to crack/shatter when impacted with something, like the ground. Polycarb is a lot a lot easier to work with, like when drilling holes.
Thanks! Just looking for same size as the Big Daddy tubes to be the easiest fit.

The reason is probably that a standard Big Daddy coupler will match that size tube, and the tube is thin enough to be reasonably lightweight.

If the tube wall is thinner, you can always wrap tape on the coupler to make up the difference.

Another trick... use permanent, self-adhesive labels (like for labeling file folders) and apply them to the inside of the plastic tube... Some to the coupler, and use PVA glue to make the bond.

Thanks I went ahead and ordered a piece from McMaster Carr. 🥰🚀🚀🚀

If the tube wall is thinner, you can always wrap tape on the coupler to make up the difference.

Another trick... use permanent, self-adhesive labels (like for labeling file folders) and apply them to the inside of the plastic tube... Some to the coupler, and use PVA glue to make the bond.
Great ideas thank you! 🥰🚀🚀🚀

Back