Quantcast

Clear Payload sections

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

saunassa

Reaction score
can anyone help me out with getting a clear payload section bt-60 or larger? maybe something from a home store?
i am building a night flight rocket and need to have a clear section 1.6" in diameter or greater to house the led flasher.

sandman

Reaction score
BT-20 clear payload section are available from Red Arrow Hobbies.

A BT-60 size clear tube is available from Lowe's or Home Depot in the flourescent tube section.

Apogee Components has a clear BT-70 sized tube.

sandman

jflis

Reaction score
FlisKits will be annoucing a payloader rocket that will use our (comming soon...) CPT-63 clear payload tube. This tube is (i beleive) either 1.7" or 1.75" OD.

We will have a TAB-60-63 balsa adapter for it (fits the BT-60 tube) as well as a couple of nose cones. The tube will come in 2 lengths that I beleive are 5" and 10"

We have not worked up prices yet but have proto's in house. Contact me via email and I will see what we can do.

When we announce the kit that uses this we will also announce a family of payload kits in the parts department.

jim

shockwaveriderz

Reaction score
You might also try an pet store that carries fishes and aquariums.....they usually have a variety of clear plastic tubing...

eugenefl

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Originally posted by shockwaveriderz
You might also try an pet store that carries fishes and aquariums.....they usually have a variety of clear plastic tubing...
The only thing I've noticed with a lot of the "in-store" clear tubing products mentioned is that the quality of the tubing isn't up to par with the crystal plastic rocketeer-grade that we're used to. Most of the time there is a solid visible crease or seam where the plastic was fused together to form the tube. Granted, for saunassa's purposes all he/she needs is something that will allow light to pass. Just a thought.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Lifetime Supporter
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Like most off the wall hardware and odd parts I purchase 4 foot lengths of clear polyethylene packaging tubes From McMaster-Carr com. www.mcmaster.com Tube sizes from .028" (Micro maxx min dia .281") #2044T41, to 2.55" for use with BT-80 2.6" #2044T52. These tubes range in price from .60 each or .15/ft for the .28" size, to 4.52ea or1.13/ft for BT-80 size. Lots of other sizes are available, None are perfect matches to standard body tubes but close enough that only minor alterations to a shoulder coupling/ nose cone shoulder are all that's required. Standard BT-80 cones fit snuggly...Very nice tubes :D

Len B

Old Member
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Originally posted by jflis
FlisKits will be annoucing a payloader rocket that will use our (comming soon...) CPT-63 clear payload tube. This tube is (i beleive) either 1.7" or 1.75" OD.

We will have a TAB-60-63 balsa adapter for it (fits the BT-60 tube) as well as a couple of nose cones. The tube will come in 2 lengths that I beleive are 5" and 10"

We have not worked up prices yet but have proto's in house. Contact me via email and I will see what we can do.

When we announce the kit that uses this we will also announce a family of payload kits in the parts department.

jim
This is great!! It sounds like exactly what I need to make a clone of the old 3x 18mm Estes Scrambler. I've wanted to do that for some time. That tube was designated CT-65 I think and is 1.75" OD. IIRC, it was also used (painted black) for the Cineroc.

Thanks for filling this void, Jim!

Len Bryan :D

saunassa

Reaction score
thank you to all who have been suggesting ways to go.

do any of you remember when estes and centuri had a least one if not 2 clear payload rockets each that would hold an egg or you could shove in a mouse or grasshoppers? whoops, the referal to mouse shows that i am a BAR and before the time of the code of conducts for rocketry.

Micromister, that is one cool night launch rocket. i saw a picture of it a while back when i was researching leds for night flight. it gave me the idea to buy a bike flashing tail light with 7 leds, each rated at 2600Mcdls and it is supposed to be good for 2 miles - i know better but it should be more than sufficient for a 2000' flight.

i know, i could have built it cheaper myself (i am an electronics technician) but with work and all i took the easy way out. off to check out mcmaster carr and grainger.