Clear coat over sticker

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerbs4me

Reaction score
I'm going to painting one of my rockets and applying a sticker. After applying the sticker, will the clear coat cause the white in the sticker to turn yellow? I don't have much experience with applying stickers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)

Attachments

• sss,small,product_square,1000x1000.jpg
    sss,small,product_square,1000x1000.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 11
I'm going to painting one of my rockets and applying a sticker. After applying the sticker, will the clear coat cause the white in the sticker to turn yellow? I don't have much experience with applying stickers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :)
I don’t bother much with clear coat but when I do I use Krylon UV Resistant Acrylic - it’s worked well with no discernible yellowing over several years. Clear coat can be tricky to get right, multiple, very thin coats, and pay close attention to recoat times, if you don’t the carrier solvent can eat into your color coat and cause the dreaded wrinkled paint 🤯

If the item you are going to clear coat had any type of paint on it you might want to test the clear before applying the sticker. If there is a reaction it is easier to sand the items and repaint it without having to remove replace the decal as well.

I've never had any yellowing effects on anything except cheap brand paint. I've learned to stay away from the $1.99 per can stuff.

As far as I understand the matter, yellowing of paper is usually attributable to its own acidity (hence acid free paper for archival use) and I shouldn't think clearcoat would not effect that either way. Many things experience color degradation from UV exposure, and good clear coat will help prevent that, but that's usually fading, if I'm not mistaken.

Checking for compatibility of finishing materials X and Y is always a good idea when applying Y over X. Do you have another sticker from the same source? Even the negative shape left on the sheet would do. Hit it with some of your clear coat and see what happens.

It didn't get emphasized in this thread but be absolutely sure to use a UV resistant clear coat. Krylon has both a UV clear and a non-UV-blocking clear that costs half as much but will turn shockingly yellow even if the model is stored indoors. The acrylic clears are generally safe over decals and stickers. Automotive clears, especially the 2-part ones, are UV safe but often have solvents that make application over decals tricky.

Back