Clear Coat & Decal Gunk Remover

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvSRG

Reaction score
What do you guys use for clear coat? I know the most common is Krylon clear spray...but has anyone ever seen or tried Miniwax spray polyurethane finish? It looks pretty reliable.

Also, what do you use to clean the sticky residue from self-adhesive decals on plastic surfaces? I just took the decals off of the fins of my Mustang for moding and refinishing, and they left a nasty, very sticky residue.

Only adding my two cents worth, but the one and only time I tried spray polyurethane, it went on extremely milky, sticky, and took forever to dry. I wound up stripping it. But that is only my experience, I am sure there are others. Like I said, my 2 bitz worth......

i use 1 of two things. I either use something called "goof off" comes in a little yellow bottle or Laquer... like paint thinner. works great on getttin epoxy off your hands but be sure to wash them off

Originally posted by marvSRG
What do you guys use for clear coat? I know the most common is Krylon clear spray...but has anyone ever seen or tried Miniwax spray polyurethane finish? It looks pretty reliable.

Also, what do you use to clean the sticky residue from self-adhesive decals on plastic surfaces? I just took the decals off of the fins of my Mustang for moding and refinishing, and they left a nasty, very sticky residue.

I've had bad luck with clear overcoats, particularly over metallic finishes.

I used polyU over an all wood bird, and it worked fine. I used it over enamel and it didn't. I think Miniwax Polycrylic would work better.

Back