clear body tube with lights

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketcharlie

Reaction score
Last Fourth of July I did a night launch with a red white and blue dog flasher light on the parachute. This year I would like to raise the bar and do a clear airframe with blinking LED lights in it. Any suggestions, sources?

Check out a local hardware store or home center for the clear tubes into which florescent lights are mounted. You may have to tweak centering rings and a nosecone.
I would suggest using a stuffer tube to make the ejection gases bypass most of the body as they will stain the clear plastic. This will give you a good area to mount the lights.
Post pictures, please.

5050 led strip non-waterproof wrapped around a smaller tube inserted into PL .

You can also score a natural fg tube for exterior instead of a clear tube.

Exactimator bought a 16 inch 2.6 inch payload tube from Madcow and wrapped a 38mmt for the payload with almost the entire 5m LED string.. he also popped for the rgb 5050 led and the $4 mini controller

Kenny

"Old style" native FG is translucent enough to make nice night rockets.
Just need to find stuff that hasn't been dyed.

I've used Acrylic tubing from McMaster-Carr with good results. Pretty much get the size you want. I think I matched 3" LOC and 54mm LOC or fairly close.

John Cocker's is pretty amazing. I'm starting to think if rockets are too nice, the rocket gods eat them.

If you want to see what the natural FG looks like compared to the clear acrylic, here are some photos. It diffuses the light, so it's more forgiving of any issues in the LEDs beneath. As was mentioned earlier, it's a bit difficult to photograph well.

20140714_194206.jpg20140714_194016.jpg20140714_192741.jpg20140417_220101.jpg

We noticed if the LEDs are too close to the outer FG tube, it overcomes the diffuser effect and you can see the individual LEDs. It creates a corn cob effect.

John Cocker's is pretty amazing. I'm starting to think if rockets are too nice, the rocket gods eat them.

If you want to see what the natural FG looks like compared to the clear acrylic, here are some photos. It diffuses the light, so it's more forgiving of any issues in the LEDs beneath. As was mentioned earlier, it's a bit difficult to photograph well.

View attachment 292387View attachment 292388View attachment 292389View attachment 292390

We noticed if the LEDs are too close to the outer FG tube, it overcomes the diffuser effect and you can see the individual LEDs. It creates a corn cob effect.

Im still amazed how well your setup works ...and flys so well on Class 1 motors.

Bonus that the lights and controller can be had , shipped, for well under 20 buck-a-roos ..

Kenny

Back