cleaning launch rail?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cls

Reaction score
you know the drill: nice rocket, nice pad with rail, buttons go in but don't slide so good.. darn!

what is the best way to clean launch rail? mainly I want to get it clean so the rail buttons slide nicely, I don't want to over do it and scrub away metal ...

out to the pads I usually carry a green 3m scrubbie pad, which is great for cleaning alligator clips and launch rods of all sizes. and it will scrub the outside of the rail, but couldn't reach and the inside was still somewhat gummy etc.

do you guys carry wire brushes? what fits in the rail slot and cleans it out nicely? and leaves it nice for the next rocket?

mabey spray some degreaser in the slot ,let it set a while than rinse it..
a wire brush may eventually scratch off the clear anodising and leave the aluminum bare.

Originally posted by cls

what is the best way to clean launch rail?

do you guys carry wire brushes? what fits in the rail slot and cleans it out nicely? and leaves it nice for the next rocket?

I have heard that nylon gun cleaning brushes fit into the slot and do a good job. I just have to find out what caliber to get.

Bill

Here are a couple of tips I have to help in keeping a rail clean:

For cleaning a rail in the field keep a can of WD40, a 45 caliber chamber brush, and a roll of paper towels handy. The WD40 will act as a cleaning solution, the brush will clean the inside of the rail slot, and the paper towels will mop up the mess.

For really dirty rails clean them with "Hoppe's No. 9 Plus Bore Cleaner And Patch Lube". It's the best cleaning solution for APCP residue on aluminum that I know of. It's commonly used in cleaning muzzle loading rifles so a good gun shop should have it in stock.

Never, ever, use wire brushes to clean rails. Even brass bristle brushes will damage the anodizing and cause the aluminum to corrode.

Ken Holloway

Guys,

Some good tips on cleaning rails here. I use an old windex sprayer and spray on white vinegar. Put more on the towel and it wipes buildup right off.

We have also found at our club though that by using teflon spray to lube the rail before each flight, buildup comes off the rail easier.

Carl

Originally posted by cls
you know the drill: nice rocket, nice pad with rail, buttons go in but don't slide so good.. darn!

what is the best way to clean launch rail? mainly I want to get it clean so the rail buttons slide nicely, I don't want to over do it and scrub away metal ...

I can't for the life of me remember what common commercial product we used to clean M-16s, but I'm betting that'd be something to try. That, and a bottle brush just pulled through.

Check with our local Eleven Bravo. He'll know.

The boss says "Break-Free", but she was just a 28 year NBC (nuclear/biological/chemical warfare) master sergeant. They don't play with guns much.

Obviously, she doesn't read TRF.

DynaSoar-
Common was concentrated Simple Green. We also used SCALDING hot water and Tide powder. Yeah I know, makes some people wince, but it worked REALLY well.
Ok, so that's not going to work on a launch rail.
Never having even seen a rail in person, I might try-
1. Remington Action Cleaner (spray can) and a nylon bristle brush and rag.
2. Hoppe's #9 as mentioned. It's for cleaning burnt gun powder so should be just the ticket. Again, the nylon brush and a rag.
3. You might try the Remington Brite Bore in the picture. I don't think it is quite as good as the Action Cleaner, but it is still pretty good.
4. Simple Green is good stuff.
5. Lube with Remington's Rem DriLube or RemOil teflon sprays. They're great lubes and help to keep nasties from sticking during use.
Bill- in case you know this and the "what caliber to get" was in jest, sorry.
If the brush being referred to is what I think it is, it is like a double ended tooth brush that is much narrower at one end. I probably have about a hundred of them around here, give me a bit and I'll go look. < humming > Keep humming, I have to go out to the garage. < humming > Quicker than I thought, found one in the kitchen. Just a minute and I'll get a picture posted. They're uploading. Hold on... Wait for it... We're almost there... Just a little more...
OK, they're there, er here-
https://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/gps_greg/my_photos
in the gun stuff folder.
The brush, the Hoppe's, and some sprays that may help.

Greg

wow! thank you TRF!! lots of great ideas here. mostly I was looking for things I can do in the field, since I always use the club's rails - don't have my own. vinegar & bottle brush sounds like stuff I can carry to the pad, non-toxic, etc.

Back