Cleaning airbrush after spraying varnish

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amiliv

Reaction score
I'm new to airbrushing, and so far like the results. However, I still use rattle can for primer and clear coats. Montana-Cans Varnish being my go-to clear coat; and this stuff stinks real bad for a full day or two while it dries (but I do like final result).

I'd like to try something less smelly that I can use with the airbrush. I did use Liquitex Varnish in the past, applying it with the brush. It's water based, no smell. So I know that one should be OK to use (and have it dry) inside.

However my question is if I use Liquitex Varnish in airbrush, what should I use to clean the airbrush after?

My other question is, if anybody else is doing this, do you have dedicated airbrush for painting, and another for varnish, or do you use same airbrush for both?

I go with 2 airbrushes. 1 for water based and one for paints that require thinner. I also have 2 cleaning pots, again one with water and one with thinner. If the liquitex lable says soap and water clean up rinsing your colour cup in hot water and hot water in a cleaning pot should take care of it.

I used same gun for both types of finish. Just cleaned with water or lacquer thinner/acetone/mineral sprits depending on what went through gun.
Knowing how to properly clean the gun is most important.

Back