Cim 10b Bomarc

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my 13.25 3 D12 cluster I use FX smokers in the ramjets. I tried to use a pair of D12's in one of my first attempts, 5 d12 total cluster. 3 flights three wild spriialy arching flights. even tried off-setting the thrust toward a "central vanishing point between the nose and ramjets.. didn't work. but the Plywood centered balsa clad pylons held up fine..well except during that flat spin Prang landing #@%# OUCH!:D pretty neat dust cloud thou Ha!
My advice would be to use the main body for your main motor(s) Like the real missile...if you really want to put motors in the ramjets use small motors that won't alter the thrust line much. a much better effect is to use the Ramjets for Large smoke generator housings with flow thur Nacelle/areospike intakes. Makes for a very nice lift-off. Heres a pic that may help

I'm just afraid with the kinda scale that we are talking about building (i.e. 8" airframe) I will need to use the ramjets to get the silly thing off the ground... Though I might need to look at clustering in the main airframe.

Rocketman:
Yeap I think your correct. you likely will need to cluster in the main airframe but putting motors in the ramjets will not make the job any easier. The full size missile has a 35" diameter and had to carry all the fuel for the ramjets it's rocket fuel and warhead as well as boost the missile to altitude and speed before the ramjets came on-line in or near level horizontal flight. I do not fly composites so I can't help you motor selection wise, just try to get the weight to thrust ratio up, she should fly fine on a cluster in the main body.

I think I mentioned I'm working on two Bomarcs at present, a BT-55 glideing model and a BT-101 scale that MAY end up as a glider or R/C glider, depends totally on the finished weight, I'm shooting for under the 3.3lb LMR limit, powered by a cluster of 5 D12's in an ejectable nosed weighted pod. I'm reasonably sure without doing any studies at all if this scale can work for me your 8 inch body should be a breeze provided APCP motors are available.
ONE more thing. Please don't upsize the old ESTES kit and call it upscale! If your going to go to all the trouble of building a model that size at least make it a real SCALE model. Even if you cheat and use the "high wing" method of main wing attachment you can make the model a lot better looking by using the real vehicle data. If you can't find what you need give me an e-mail address, I'll share any data and photos in my collection. I think i reduced one of the dimensioned USAF boeing drawings if I have it i'll post it a little later. it may be a bit hard to read by all the major vehicle dimensions are shown

Drat! I didn't find the dimensioned drawing but did find a 3 veiw scale drawing that may be of some help, I'll keep looking for the dimensioned version of this same dwg.
Hope this helps.. Keep us informed of your progress sounds pretty kewl!

That drawing is the best that I've seen to date! That will be a big help! Luckily one of the guys on my build team works for an engineering company so he has access to large plotters...for free... :D

We are also lucky in that one of our local suppliers has his LEUP and CA Pyro liscense and helps out with getting large projets off the ground. BTW, check out https://www.plasterblaster.com to see his 10x upscale mars lander! (Really wild to see a rocket the size of a Volkswagen get up and move off the pad!)

Just wanted to let you all know that I just got the NARTS scale data CD with bomarc data on it and it is GREAT!

The plans are just what I needed for my team's 8" bomarc, plus it has numerous photos that I have seen nowhere on the net!

Definately worth the investment, plus you get plans for many other missles!

The ordering info is on the NAR website. Here is the link.

https://www.nar.org/images/cdrom.jpg

It also includes data and photos of the aerobee 350, IQSY tomahawk,super loki dart, sandhawk,raven, redstone, hopi dart, judi dart, hawk, falcon, titan iiic, talos, jayhawk, patriot and iris...(whew)

Over 400mb of plans and photos for $29.95 plus shipping!

Back