Cigar advice?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soopirV

Reaction score
completely off topic, but, I enjoy the occasional cigar, and would like to get a nice basic humidor so I can enjoy them without having to plan ahead. I've searched online, and think this is what appeals to me most (and has pretty good reviews): https://www.thompsoncigar.com/produ...=11677&categoryId=11677&parentCategoryId=8389

Given that I'm a casual smoker, like maybe 1-2 per month, should I get a smaller humidor? It is unlikely that I'll ever keep more than 20 or so on hand, although this set comes with 60 very basic cigars. My all time favorite smoke is the Macanudo Portofino, would love to have ready access to those, but am not sure a basic humidor would keep something good for a long time...any advice?

I have a humidor on my desk for years..
I have had a grand total of 2 cigars in the past 5 years, and didn't enjoy them...
Smoking a cigar just doesn't sit well with me mentally anymore...
The inexpensive humidity dial gauge they come with I've found don't work..
You may be ok with that electronic gauge, I've never used an electronic one..
I have found a "Cigar Oasis" is mandatory..
That's the best way to keep the humidity up in the humidor...

Teddy

wow, those are pretty spendy! Have you gotten out of the cigar habit, or was it never really something you took to? I realize tobacco use is on the decline, and since I work in cancer diagnostics I should know better, but there's an undeniable attraction for me and the occasional puff over a scotch or port with friends.

Coming to GHS? Ken Sparks is the one to talk to. There are a few of us here in Phoenix that enjoy an occasional cigar and brandy around the campfire after a good day of flying rockets. We usually have a pretty good selection of both cigars and brandy/bourbon/etc. Come on out!

Guy

soopirV, I like Macanudos as well. I purchased a humidor and sampler combo from Cigars International. It's a cheap humidor and it works great for me, since I only keep about 40 cigars on hand at one time. https://www.cigarsinternational.com/samplers/96365/top-shelf-humidor-combo/

The one you linked should have no issues, and the digital hygrometer is nice. I'd suggest some "Black Ice" to keep the humidity up in your humidor.

If you do get an analog hygrometer, make sure you calibrate it!

I have been out of cigars for quite some time but I used to have two very nice Spanish cedar personal humidors and many cigars to go with them.

Here is what I found worked best for me:

There are many types of materials that humidors are made from but the Spanish cedar is generally considered the best, and that is because it handles the humidity well. This is only for the inner lining. The external part of the humidor is where you can save money and as you have probably discovered the fancy ones can get well into the thousands. Like Tonimus said, a digital hygrometer is better than an analog one and I would also get a digital thermometer.

Finally when you get your humidor you should prep it by doing the following: If using water only use distilled water for the humidifier. Generously wipe down the inside of the humidor with distilled water then wait about an hour for it to dry. Finally put a small dish of distilled water inside the humidor, along with your hygrometer and thermometer. Then close it up and wait 48 hours. If you need to add more water while the Spanish cedar lining absorbs the humidity then add it. At this point you are good to go.

One more thing to remember about humidors. You should always give it some fresh air every couple/few of weeks as cigars can get moldy and you do not want that. Bottom line it may take a bit of experimenting based on your environment but the idea settings are, humidity between 68% and 72% and temperature at about 65-70° F.

Good luck and enjoy.

completely off topic, but, I enjoy the occasional cigar, and would like to get a nice basic humidor so I can enjoy them without having to plan ahead. I've searched online, and think this is what appeals to me most (and has pretty good reviews): https://www.thompsoncigar.com/produ...=11677&categoryId=11677&parentCategoryId=8389

Given that I'm a casual smoker, like maybe 1-2 per month, should I get a smaller humidor? It is unlikely that I'll ever keep more than 20 or so on hand, although this set comes with 60 very basic cigars. My all time favorite smoke is the Macanudo Portofino, would love to have ready access to those, but am not sure a basic humidor would keep something good for a long time...any advice?

Macanudo Maduros (Gigantes and Ascots) were my favorites premiums along with H. Upman Maduro Robusto's, and my favorite bread and butter cigar (regular/daily) was the Garcia y Vega 1882.

To bad I don't have my wood shop anymore. I would have been thrilled to make you one.
I don't think a glass top is good. Especially if it gets any UV rays from the sun.
I don't smoke, never have. And don't like to see people smoke as I seen what it did to family members.
I hope you find a nice one for a decent price.
Maybe you can find a local wood worker that can make you just what you want for a decent price.
Good Luck.

To bad I don't have my wood shop anymore. I would have been thrilled to make you one.
I don't think a glass top is good. Especially if it gets any UV rays from the sun.
I don't smoke, never have. And don't like to see people smoke as I seen what it did to family members.
I hope you find a nice one for a decent price.
Maybe you can find a local wood worker that can make you just what you want for a decent price.
Good Luck.

Sheesh. I'd have paid decent money for that. As far as UV is concerned, most guys keep their humidors in a closet or cabinet.

Living in a place were it can get to about 20%RH for months at a time, I've gone with a 'Tupperdor'. Super cheap! And I have a stack of those Hydro beads and occasionally add some water to (Aquafina distilled).. I have one of those thermometers with the hydrometer built in.. I had a wood humidor, but the fight to keep it at 70% when the ambient is around 20-30% was just a loosing battle!)

I have about 12 cigars in mine, and smoke mainly in the summer (It's hard to enjoy one when it's -12°C and you're shovelling 8" of snow!) :D and so far, no issues..

Aston or A Fuentes for me.. (Cubans to me, are over-rated and all taste the same!) I prefer a maduro, in a petit robusto size..

If you put a water dish in the humidor
add paper towel and salt....
The towel contains the water as it evaporates,,
I can't remember for the life of me why the salt...
Keep down growth ???

The best bang for the buck in cigars,,
not an everydayer though,, too expensive for everyday...

Ashton Heritage Puro Sol...

I like a Churchill...

Teddy

Salt will release water below 70% RH. It's the original humidity control chemical.

My advice is to get your brother-in-law into cigars and then just smoke his. Way easier than maintaining your own humidor, and much more affordable than buying your own cigars.

Coming to GHS? Ken Sparks is the one to talk to. There are a few of us here in Phoenix that enjoy an occasional cigar and brandy around the campfire after a good day of flying rockets. We usually have a pretty good selection of both cigars and brandy/bourbon/etc. Come on out!

Guy

Haven't made any plans, but that's a great incentive! Thanks for the invitation! Dr. Wogz's comment below has be a bit worried, but if you Phoenicians can keep the RH up, I'm hopeful that I will be able too.

One more thing to remember about humidors. You should always give it some fresh air every couple/few of weeks as cigars can get moldy and you do not want that. Bottom line it may take a bit of experimenting based on your environment but the idea settings are, humidity between 68% and 72% and temperature at about 65-70° F.

Good luck and enjoy.

Thanks for the great advice, one question on the point you made above, however: does the molding happen because humidity gets too high, so that's why you air it out?

Living in a place were it can get to about 20%RH for months at a time, I've gone with a 'Tupperdor'. Super cheap! And I have a stack of those Hydro beads and occasionally add some water to (Aquafina distilled).. I have one of those thermometers with the hydrometer built in.. I had a wood humidor, but the fight to keep it at 70% when the ambient is around 20-30% was just a loosing battle!)

I have about 12 cigars in mine, and smoke mainly in the summer (It's hard to enjoy one when it's -12°C and you're shovelling 8" of snow!) :D and so far, no issues..

Aston or A Fuentes for me.. (Cubans to me, are over-rated and all taste the same!) I prefer a maduro, in a petit robusto size..

I live in the desert, so 20% is normal for us too...so a very good point, wonder if I'm going to struggle as well? Our house is ~30-40% on average according to our thermostats, but I don't know how accurate that is!

My advice is to get your brother-in-law into cigars and then just smoke his. Way easier than maintaining your own humidor, and much more affordable than buying your own cigars.

Brilliant! Only trouble is they're all back home on the East coast...

My humidor is usually outside "optimum" but is just fine for my cigars. It's 80 in my house in the summer with the humidor maintaining 65% humidity. Maybe I'm lucky but I haven't had a mold problem yet, and the only air it gets is when I go in after a cigar.

Sheesh. I'd have paid decent money for that. As far as UV is concerned, most guys keep their humidors in a closet or cabinet.

Yes, I would've loved to see that! Tonimus is correct for me- the place I have in mind is in my closet, but I bet you're correct about UV.

Our RH fluctuates, and our houses, floors, furniture (and anything wood) shrinks, expands, creaks, etc.. withte seasonal changes..

Where I live (Montreal, Quebec, Canada) goes from a balmy very high 20's ° Celsius with an equally high RH "everything is sticky & a nightly thunderstorm", to "freeze your nose off" -20's °C cold snaps. And, mid 30's °C stretches are not too uncommon in the summer nor the odd -30° night time winter deep-freeze happens once & a while..

So, we can easily see an 80% average to a 20% average indoors in a few months.. A wood humidor pulls itself apart as its inside tries for 70% and the outside is a humidity sucking 30%.. Any moisture within easily escapes without constant attention!

https://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-accessory-questions/174712-new-tupperdor-stop.html

That is exactly what I've done (and the brand!). Although mine is bigger (can get about 25 cigars in it) and the cedar piece a little smaller.. And I've decorated it with a few of the many many stickers I have collected over the years! And yes, I do have a much smaller one for travelling.. (Just the Tupperware container..) It floats & is fully sealed, good for when you're on a boat throwing flies at finicky trout!! :D

Thanks for the great advice, one question on the point you made above, however: does the molding happen because humidity gets too high, so that's why you air it out?

Below is a link that answers that question and supports a lot of what others have said, the answer to my comment is addressed in the "Humidity" section.

BTW the cheap and cheerful Tupperware container can work. However it will be harder to maintain larger quantities of cigars for loner periods of time and you may find that the tolerances swing a bit too far for "consistency". Although the small slice of cedar help with this last point, it is still not as good as a proper humidor.

https://www.casacubana.ca/cigar-faq/4-whats-the-best-way-to-keep-my-cigars-fresh.html

Back