Chute Sizes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PWALPOCO

Reaction score
hi there all ,

Ive got myself some nice nylon chutes , I got hold of a 18inch , and 28 inch chute and have a 14inch on order. My line of thinking is I can attach the chutes onto a clip which I can then use to interchange the chute from one rocket to another.

As the newbie Im guessing that if I "under chute" a particular rocket , itll come down quickly from apogee , if I put a larger chute itll drift to a varying degree ...... but "what if" I overdo a chute?

Is there a guide on rocket size/weight to chute size that I can use to make sure I pick the right chutes for the right rockets for the right conditions ?

Im hoping for a table something like ;

14in...Calm 10-100g .... Moderate 40-120g ... Windy 60-160g

18in Calm 40-120g . yadda yadda ....

Help would be gratefully received !

Paul

Anyone ?

Somewhere out there I've seen a descent rate chart that lists out everything by weight and descent rate, and you'd have to figure out the winds yourself...

WW

I usually put a little bit of a small chute on and build tough because I launch in small feilds. If you put a bigger chute on it will really drift, I have seen rockets actually float in what spot because the rocket catches the wind.

https://www.aeroconsystems.com/tips/descent_rate.htm

there is a decent rate calculator

Originally posted by Ryan S.
I usually put a little bit of a small chute on and build tough because I launch in small feilds. If you put a bigger chute on it will really drift, I have seen rockets actually float in what spot because the rocket catches the wind.

I watched a parachute competition once that had a rocket eject its chute at about 200ft and then it hit a thermo and went up to 300ft and stayed there for a while before it came down.

sure, that thing is a great help, there are some others but I am not sure at what sites.

I saw the nosecone of one of those Apogee saturn Vs come down very slow, I dont actually think it was coming down much at all. It drifted across the whole feild and only came down about 300 feet, then, it got caught on some powerlines. Right as everyone stopped saying "oohh!" the nose lifted off the lines and drifted into another part of the feild

I also tend to build tough ships with small chutes for fast recovery in a small field.
Many people use fishing swivels to change chutes between rockets. They are cheap and almost ideal for the purposse.

Yep ,

Im hoping to get my nylon setups with those swivel joints on , so I can swap em about between rockets for whatever conditions.

Just wanted to see if there was a guide to what chutes to use and for what and for when .....

Paul

There's some chute and descent tools on EMRR. Click here.

I haven't used them so don't know anymore than they're there.

bmhiii

I tend to use a much bigger chute than I need to. Probably because I dont launch if I feel too much wind. If I want a fast recovery I use a streamer.

If your wanting to minimize drift Paul, I hear that X-Type Chutes work well. I havent used them myself but I think Arthur/John does.

Phil

yep i swear by the x-type chute,it really does cut down on the drift.I am toying with the idea of switching to streamers for all but my biggest rockets.

Perhaps this should be shifted over to the vendors forum, but who would you recommend for X-form chutes? I'm still making LPR/MPR models, so it would have to be 30" max, and some as small as 12"...

WW

Thanks for the hints and tips people, partiularly bmhiii.

Seems Im getting a variety of answers out of the various tools and so on. I confess , Im looking to kit out the Phoenix with a nylon chute for her maiden flight.

After the last lot of flying the lads and I did I discovered my Bullpups last flight finished with the chute melting together and losing a line. No great disaster for the Bullpup , but probably wouldnt have been fin-freindly for the Phoenix which carries a rainforest glued on its sides.

Reading the guides the descent rate for a rocket should be around 11-15 feet per second. Pace that out , then imagine yourself falling on your butt that distance , say 15ft , in one scond. No thanks !!

Answers from varying guides seem to point at anything from 18-30 inches. As I have an 18in and a 28in Im opting to carry the 28in in no wind , and the 18in for 0-5 , the Phoenix isnt flying in anything windier than that !

Ho hum , watch this space for hilarious Maiden Flight Video in the near future , when we get a window !

Paul

As a rule of thumb, in Estes model rockets I use one size smaller than comes with the kit. If I have to reinforce a little to compensate I do it, since rockets that hang in the air too long around here tend to hang in trees even longer. Fliskits seem to have a better chute/rocket ratio, so I tend to stay with their recommended size or close, maybe subbing an 18 for a 16. Or not. Some older Estes clones and other special designs, I have gone bigger on the chute, such as the Super Vega, as it has issues with the landing gear. I believe that this is an experience thing, and as time goes on and you get a few launches under your belt, you will just know which chute to use in given field on a given day for a specific bird.

Originally posted by wwattles
Perhaps this should be shifted over to the vendors forum, but who would you recommend for X-form chutes? I'm still making LPR/MPR models, so it would have to be 30" max, and some as small as 12"...

WW
I use top flight recovery chutes and they have a large range of sizes.

Okay, now here's the next question:

24" x-type chute is equivalent to what size flat-sheet chute? Obviously, a 24" cross doesn't have the same descent rate as a 24" flat or hemispherical...

WW

Erm, I think the rule is that when buying an X-Type chute, buy the next size up from the standard chute you'd get, if that makes any sense.

EG: If you had a rocket that reccomends and 18" standard chute, get a 24" X chute

Back