chute size

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mag

Reaction score
I have two 52 inch chutes from SkyAngle and it it perfect for my 6-7 pound rockets. The fiberglassed Defender weighs around 15-17pounds loaded and I do not want to chance using two 52 inch chutes for main.
Are there any bigger chutes from SkyAngle Classic 2 over 60 inches? I am not familiar with the Level 3 large chute ,,, I need to be able to fold the 100" or so inch chute to give me a 10-12 descent rate into a 12" X 4 " diameter payload bay.
Please advise me on what chute to look for that is lightweight and can fold to tighter spaces. I have not used chutes besides the SkyAngle. I am eager to know about other chutes that are lightweight and deploy perfectly without any chance of failures besides the SkyAngles Classic 2 lightweight. A heavy chute may not fold into tighter compartments like a SkyAngle, I rather hear some recommendations before purchasing a chute and regret it later when it don't fit or is too heavy and thick. Thanks
Mark

What Steve said....

The SkyAngle 60" will be perfect.

Another good chute is a Rocket Rage RRQS15. It would bring it down around 20-25fps and they pack TINY. If you need it to come down slower, use the RRQS30 (and both will pack smaller than a skyangle classic 60)

My $.02

A 60" SkyAngle would bring it down to around 20 or more fps. I am worried about the tailcone with fins on the Defender from DG&A. I wrapped two wraps of 2 oz. veil around the extended motor tube and epoxied the fins to the tailcone. It looks pretty sturdy and OK with an 60" SkyAngle over soft plowed fields. Just in case I need a slower FPS rate for hard landings,,, the payload bay has a limit of 12"x3.9" in volume. Any bigger may result in a tight fit and spent money for a wrong chute.
Mark

Just some food for thought...........I use two chutes for recovery all the time no problem.....a 54 pml and 60 spjhereachute on my competitor......... 2 36pml on my wildman........and several other strange combinations on other projects from mixing 24's with 54's to 2 12inchers......just attach one chute far enough below the other...........so they don't touch when deployed....I have many chutes .......but many more rockets....so when preping the day before the launch , I may have my 60 in one rocket...so I just combine others to get more than one rocket ready....never had any problem with different makes or sizes inflating correctly

Oh yeah....almost forgot....many times I have found two smaller chutes take up less space than one large one

Originally posted by Mag
A 60" SkyAngle would bring it down to around 20 or more fps. I am worried about the tailcone with fins on the Defender from DG&A. I wrapped two wraps of 2 oz. veil around the extended motor tube and epoxied the fins to the tailcone. It looks pretty sturdy and OK with an 60" SkyAngle over soft plowed fields. Just in case I need a slower FPS rate for hard landings,,, the payload bay has a limit of 12"x3.9" in volume. Any bigger may result in a tight fit and spent money for a wrong chute.
Mark
That's why I reccomended the Rocket Rage. I can get my RRQS15 (22fps, 15lbs) in the same amount of space as I can pack a Skyangle Classic II 36". The RRQS30 (30lbs @ 22fps) would also easily fit in your rocket, and if you needed a gentle landing, then that would be a good choice.

Rocket rage would bring it down nice and slow. Send Jeff Covert of covertrecovery.com an e-mail. He makes all kinds of high drag chutes that pack very nice. You can even pick some reinforcements to add over the stock design. He even includes D-bags with the chutes and made me a custom one for a chute to bring down a #35 rocket. TAC-1's 72" will bring it down at around 17-19FPS and packs very tight but you want a slower descent.

Back