Chute Shape Comparison

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kruegon

Reaction score
I've recently found my delve needing to explore larger chutes. Currently, my largest chute is a 50" flat round. But I'm going to need even larger before I am done.

So what are the pros and cons of the different styles of chutes. Why should one consider an X form or hemispherical over a standard round?

Here is a general descent calculator for type comparison (I believe off the old Infocentral site).

Descent Chart.jpg

Attachments

• Parachute Descent Rates.xlsx
    47.4 KB · Views: 64
There is also the squared-off type of parachute (Rocketman, SkyAngle, Giant Leap TAC-series) that is fairly popular. I'm not sure of the descent rates, but I would bet they would fall somewhere between a flat sheet and a hemispherical chute. One advantage of this type of parachute is that they only have four shroud lines, which theoretically makes them less likely to tangle and easier to pack.

If you want to go for the slowest possible descent the toroidal shape that Fruity Chutes uses is supposed to be the best, from what I read.

There is also the squared-off type of parachute (Rocketman, SkyAngle, Giant Leap TAC-series) that is fairly popular. I'm not sure of the descent rates, but I would bet they would fall somewhere between a flat sheet and a hemispherical chute. One advantage of this type of parachute is that they only have four shroud lines, which theoretically makes them less likely to tangle and easier to pack.

If you want to go for the slowest possible descent the toroidal shape that Fruity Chutes uses is supposed to be the best, from what I read.

The most-used term for the Skyangle, Rocketman style is cupped parabolic. Theoretically this style has a better Cd than elliptical. Fruity Chutes sells normal elliptical and their Iris series. The Iris series is the one you are referring to when you say "best". The Iris series uses a toroidal shape with claimed minimum Cd of 2.2.

That sounds like something you would get in the women's department. :wink:

Well yes, but in the case of Skyangle you'd have to have three...

80ca4331dc.jpg

But to get four to fit for Rocketman--that might just be impossible! :eyeroll:

Back