Chute Release

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any updates on these prototypes you guys are making? I need a chute release for my L1 cert and a JLCR is out of my budget. Lots of great ideas here and I am anxious to try one of them once proved successful.šŸ˜
1.5mm elastic cord has been working for me. Just make sure the battery is well charged and the cord is wrapped tightly around the chute.

PS - Your choice, but I'd recommend not using a JLCR or other device for L1, it's just one additional possible fail point. Safer to walk further to retrieve the rocket. But many have successfully used the JLCR for L1 and L2 without any problem.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the field I launch at normally is clear, but due to things out of the club's control, it hasn't been mowed in a while and there is 6'+ tall grass. Not ideal at all, but that's what I have to work with. I'm wanting to release the chute a few hundred feet above ground.

In" Monty Python"'s words and now for something completely different, but certainly pertaining to this thread. I am currently working up a wifi altimeter using a ESP8266 module and interfacing it with a barometric chip. I have it at the record altitude stage, currently working on an arm/dis-arm web based button. I am no HTML expert and it is a bit of a learning curve dealing with async web server with "buttons". It is sitting on a breadboard now, I'll move it to a solid state once I have the firing ckt designed and working.

I will likely fly it as a tag along to make sure it is reading altitude correctly in real time, then another test flight to see how the deploy works, and then a real flight. My reasons for doing it was a cheap, completely configurable altimeter on the order of 10.00 a pop to use on some of these wonderful ideas on this interesting thread, and I like a lot of you enjoy getting my "hands and digital hands" dirty working on my own version of things.

I use a JL and love it, but the thoughts of an rocket, engine casing, and a 130.00 altimeter swing from the top of a 75 foot oak tree is not an idea I think of as fun, reality yes, fun no.

In" Monty Python"'s words and now for something completely different, but certainly pertaining to this thread. I am currently working up a wifi altimeter using a ESP8266 module and interfacing it with a barometric chip. I have it at the record altitude stage, currently working on an arm/dis-arm web based button. I am no HTML expert and it is a bit of a learning curve dealing with async web server with "buttons". It is sitting on a breadboard now, I'll move it to a solid state once I have the firing ckt designed and working.

I will likely fly it as a tag along to make sure it is reading altitude correctly in real time, then another test flight to see how the deploy works, and then a real flight. My reasons for doing it was a cheap, completely configurable altimeter on the order of 10.00 a pop to use on some of these wonderful ideas on this interesting thread, and I like a lot of you enjoy getting my "hands and digital hands" dirty working on my own version of things.

I use a JL and love it, but the thoughts of an rocket, engine casing, and a 130.00 altimeter swing from the top of a 75 foot oak tree is not an idea I think of as fun, reality yes, fun no.
@beenthere2 Sounds very interesting. Keep us apprised.

Got the web soft buttons working, yea and now working on the flight logic, when to arm, deployment, mach filter and some other goodies. Screen shot of its page at Version 16 of the beastie. We live on a mountain, well really a big plateau the reason for the altitude and the AGL is from altimeter drift/ pressure change over several hours it had been running, as it records every new record AGL. The other items lumped at the bottom are test variables during the design phase. I hope the 8266 has the horse power to run the web and the flying load at the same time since it will also act like a wireless updating altimeter during the flight if it is in range of your phone.

Attachments

• v16.jpg
    v16.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 11
Any updates on these prototypes you guys are making? I need a chute release for my L1 cert and a JLCR is out of my budget. Lots of great ideas here and I am anxious to try one of them once proved successful.šŸ˜
If a JLCR is out of your budget HPR might not be the best hobby. That said, I recommend keeping a very flight simple. The JLCR takes practice to get reliable deployment.

Missile works altimeters cost 40 bucks for a 2 stage deployment. JL is nice if you have 100 percent confidence in your motor deployment.

Missile works altimeters cost 40 bucks for a 2 stage deployment. JL is nice if you have 100 percent confidence in your motor deployment.
in some of my rockets I use an Eggtimer Apogee to fire a deployment charge with motor deploy back up and I use the JL
Chute Release
To make the chute release pin unhinge easier, very light polishing of the engagement areas on the pin that interfaces with the unit was employed, now it pops right off

Back