Chute release size limits

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dbpeirce

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Is there a size limit for safety using a JL chute release? I wouldn’t think so, but was wondering if others have tried it on big chutes, say 6-10 feet in diameter.

has anybody used it on a small parachute say 12 to 15 ".......?
I have experimented on my bench with a 15" thin-mil nylon chute. It seems like it should work with a suitable-sized band. At least, on the bench it pops open nicely, and seems to stay secure in the bundle. I haven't actually flown with it yet though.

I have experimented on my bench with a 15" thin-mil nylon chute. It seems like it should work with a suitable-sized band. At least, on the bench it pops open nicely, and seems to stay secure in the bundle. I haven't actually flown with it yet though.
You know Neil....after I posted that, it dawned on me that I could use a 18 to 24" chute as the altitude would be 100-200 ft when it deployed,so it still wouldn't drift all that far.

has anybody used it on a small parachute say 12 to 15 ".......?

I've used the JLCR in a 38mm tube with a 12" chute.

On the little chutes, I like to wrap band around bundle and the JLCR. This way a std band works.

Definitely do this. It also helps keep the JLCR from hanging up on the inside of the tube.

I've used the JLCR in a 38mm tube with a 12" chute.

Definitely do this. It also helps keep the JLCR from hanging up on the inside of the tube.
boatgeek: by wrap ban , do you mean wrap a rubber band around the bundle ....I can't visualize what you mean? Can you elaborate?

I heard a lot of good things about the JLCR, but I think there is a video (correct me if I'm wrong) about the proper way to fold your chute and some have debated this process. It would be nice if others could share some pictures on how they fold their chutes and what kind of chutes they are using and if they need to be folded differently? I heard that there have been some issues with certain rubber bands and to be careful how you fasten them.

I was lucky enough to have our Prefect be one of the testers for the JLCR. I fold normal burrito, make sure band is tight so it "snaps" off at release. I always put mine around blanket and not just the chute. I use LOC flame proof blankets only. They are not slippery and band stays put.

I was scared to put it around the blanket because of the hot ejection gases, therefore I put it around the chute, under the blanket. I take it that hasn't been a problem for you David.

I actually have done it both ways. I still will use some dog barf in there also. On the 9' main, the BP charge goes down a long stuffer tube and barf on top of that. JLCR is on the outside of the bundle. Have not had an issue yet like that.

If you use a blanket outside of Chute Release, make sure the blanket is attached in a way that it is pulled from the bundle at ejection by the shock cord. I've seen rockets hit the ground with a blanket that stayed happily bundled around a released chute all the way to the ground.

Also, when you use Chute Release, don't wrap your shrouds around your chute bundle. Chute Release should be the wrapper, not the shrouds.

Just curious, what did you use to wrap the 'Chute with ?
I make my own nomex blankets. So I can make them any size I want. But a 12" blanket would work. I use a silicon band in place of the rubber band. I Z fold my chutes and Z fold the shroud lines and put them in between a fold in the chute. Then roll it up in a nomex blanket. The blanket is attached to the shock cord below the chute.

I make my own nomex blankets. So I can make them any size I want. But a 12" blanket would work. I use a silicon band in place of the rubber band. I Z fold my chutes and Z fold the shroud lines and put them in between a fold in the chute. Then roll it up in a nomex blanket. The blanket is attached to the shock cord below the chute.

Can you recommend a good source for Nomex or do you just scour the Internet?

Can you recommend a good source for Nomex or do you just scour the Internet?
I buy yellow nomex aramid canvas duck fabric on Amazon. It's not as thick as commercial Nomex blankets. But I haven't had a burn thru. And for $11.32 for 62" x 36" you can make a lot of blankets. I also sew shock cord protectors out of it too.

I get nomex fabric and thread from Pegasus Auto Racing. Ebay and Amazon are hit/miss on what you really get. The racing supplier is for fire suit repair, etc. My drag racing friends put their trust in them, so that's enough for me to trust it for model rockets.

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/group.asp?GroupID=NOMEXTHREAD

Back