Chute Release questions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My other concern would be, is it going to get accurate pressure data snuggled up in that neoprene jacket?

I think it will be fine, as long as I don't completely cover the hole with tape.

I was skeptical at first about these, but they do seem rather reliable little devices. I'll be picking one up soon.

Later!

--Coop

Kurt mentioned the Dino Protector. I ordered the red one thinking that it would be easier to find than a black unit if the Chute Release should ever seperate from its harness.

I also upgraded the tether to a larger diameter kevlar one. High Power has a bit more shock and awe than black powder motors or Mid Power.

I had a couple of failures before I really figured it out.
Rule #1: Turn the thing on before flight. Do a puff test as recommended in the instructions.
Rule #2: Fold the chute over the CR so that the plastic CR doesn't touch your body tube. The laundry ejects more reliably that way.

I have not lost a pin or broken a band, but I don't have a super-large number of flights on it either. I believe it comes with extra bands and pin(s).

Kurt mentioned the Dino Protector. I ordered the red one thinking that it would be easier to find than a black unit if the Chute Release should ever seperate from its harness.

I also upgraded the tether to a larger diameter kevlar one. High Power has a bit more shock and awe than black powder motors or Mid Power.

+10 on the upgraded tether!

The larger Kevlar tether is something I recommend to everyone. I had a Estes Leviathan zipper and tear to pieces on a H128W about 200 ft above the pad. The JLCR was in a yellow protector. A dozen people walked the area for two different launches and the JLCR was never found. The supplied tether had been attached to a chute shroud line. The chute and nosecone was recovered in perfect shape. I think the JLCR might have held the chute long enough to keep it from shredding also. In either case, the tether failed in a very violent deployment. The BT zippered to the fin can and tore in half along the way.

I have some 5/16" flat Kevlar that I'll be using on my Altimeter Three. I also have some supposedly 1/4" Kevlar from Wildman, that doesn't measure 1/4". I'll be using one of them on the Chute Release.

kevlar01.jpg

kevlar02.jpg

kevlar03.jpg

kevlar04.jpg

kevlar05.jpg

kevlar06.jpg

Nice flight! The Chute Release is certainly a game changer. What motor will she be flying for her cert flight?

Thank you! She'll be certifying on a CTI 38mm H123. She's a sucker for sparkies.

Oops! Sorry, I was thinking Aerotech. My bad!

No worries. It's confusing, there are 3, H123's. CTI has 2, a 29mm and a 38mm. And AT has the White Lightning. Too many good motors to choose from!

...I also have some supposedly 1/4" Kevlar from Wildman, that doesn't measure 1/4"...

Agreed. I have the same stuff and it is more like 1/8" or at best 3/16" and very stiff. It is not like the soft, 1/4" tubular kevlar I am used to. I even questioned Wildman about it, and he assured me it is good strong 1/4" stuff. We shall see.

It's a little bit fiddlier than I expected. The large rubber band *barely* fits in the slot. And the pin is small, it's difficult to get it inserted with my large fingers. I will also have to change my chute folding style. But I'm excited to use the Chute Release at SARG this Saturday!

https://youtu.be/Folr1qnL6kM

001.jpg

004.jpg

006.jpg

007.JPG

Here's an old balsa stick and tissue Airplane trick that I use for knotting rubber bands/strip: Saliva makes a great lubricant. Wet the end you want to use as a loop and pull it tight. Add more saliva as needed and pinch the knot while pulling on the band to tighten the knot.

You can also add another rubber band to lengthen the total band length to accomodate a large chute. Haven't found the need for that yet even when using the 48" Fruity Chute with a blanket or a Chute Liner.

Something to be aware of: If your nose cone fits tightly, and if pulling up on the nose cone with the motor installed draws a vacuum, you might accidently trigger the CR before launch.

The nose of my Leviathan and my Argent fit perfectly, and every time that I go through the RSO table and the RSO pulls on the nose cone, and pushes the nose back on, it triggers the release.

I have now used the chute release twice on my 48" Binder Design chute. It is pretty bulky, so I strung three rubber bands together. It works so well that I'm planning to use it for my upcoming L2 flight (projected to 5000').

Something to be aware of: If your nose cone fits tightly, and if pulling up on the nose cone with the motor installed draws a vacuum, you might accidently trigger the CR before launch.

The nose of my Leviathan and my Argent fit perfectly, and every time that I go through the RSO table and the RSO pulls on the nose cone, and pushes the nose back on, it triggers the release.

Wow,, that's an interesting and helpful point...
It's good I guess,, means the chute release is sensitive..

Teddy

Won't vent holes solve that?

lol..
Me too..
This is the single greatest advance in rocketry's history as far as I'm concerned..
I tell people it's almost cheating..
It replaces the av bay, wiring, batteries, switches, bp charges, e matches..
That's w hole lot of possible fail points to be replaced by this one unit..

Teddy

And more affordable, so why not right? Heck I should get one. How does it work with drogue and main?

And more affordable, so why not right? Heck I should get one. How does it work with drogue and main?

Ummmmm, You only need a single deploy rocket. I believe most do drogue-less although if so inclined could put a drogue on the harness. Motor ejection blows it out. Or single apogee deployment by an altimeter or a magnetic anomaly device
like this: https://www.tindie.com/products/ZeptoBit/zeptomag/. A MAD unit vent port is not necessary for apogee detection. Kurt

Ummmmm, You only need a single deploy rocket. I believe most do drogue-less although if so inclined could put a drogue on the harness. Motor ejection blows it out. Or single apogee deployment by an altimeter or a magnetic anomaly device
like this: https://www.tindie.com/products/ZeptoBit/zeptomag/. A MAD unit vent port is not necessary for apogee detection. Kurt

I was thinking a drogue to control drift and to spot it easier. Wouldn't the drogue keep the pieces better oriented as well while they are falling and perhaps prevent them from banging into each other??

Back