Chute release parachute protection blanket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

base890

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So I couldn’t get my JLCR to keep my parachute bundle closed no matter how I packed, even with just moderate shaking and pulling my packjob would start to slip and as slippery as the fabric is it would eventually come all apart.
Being familiar with the violence of falling objects (skydiver and BASE jumper and your rocket videos), I knew it wouldn’t cut it.
I enjoy sewing and was making my own stuff anyway so I came up with this for my level one flight.
I brought this up in another thread but didn’t want to further hijack that...
It works great and while I continue to refine the design I have something that works. What follows is how I pack my 40” 50% hemispheric parachute into this blanket.

Last edited:
Arm the JCLR and complete the prep. Pull test video won’t upload here but I can really yard on the cords and shake violently with the bundle staying put.

03D13299-BE2A-4415-8CF9-B22EC8E96C6D.jpeg 6ADA6B68-258A-4D07-A548-05411C8DEEC3.jpeg D97E1102-AD92-46F1-A146-AD231C73E258.jpeg 7995EFEF-2F2C-4E0E-8FB7-878F466141BC.jpeg

I’d be concerned with bp powder burning the rubber band and/or exposing CR to BP gases. Most chute releases I’ve seen/used are wrapped inside blanket.

I had those thoughts too and almost sewed a flap that would cover the band only during ejection, couldn’t find a configuration that wouldn’t have a possibility of blocking the release of the band which would be a safety risk vs early deployment. If you try burning the rubber band you’ll find it really takes a while before it weakens to the point of snapping- I think it’s unlikely to be a true problem but I understand your theory well.

In a small body tube I will wrap the whole burrito in a bit of wadding to prevent the rubber and from binding in the tube.

Yeah, so tight I though I might break the pin socket/receiver. The tighter I wrapped the faster the bundle deteriorated to slip out one of the ends. Like a bar of wet soap! I guess that's what I get for making the chute out of zero porosity parachute fabric (from ParaGear.com). I am addicted to everything about this fabric however (from all the dopamine days of packing for base jumps etc.). This pursuit can now feed the nylon addiction in a much safer way now that I'm a father!

That's some pic of you and your daughter running and laughing..
Super sweet..
You make certain not to lose that pic...
You'll really enjoy it in the long range future..

Teddy

I just ordered two of Craig’s chute release blankets on Wednesday and received them on Saturday. Best addition to my recovery protection I have bought to date. Top notch service and product . You won’t be disappointed in these in any way. I plan on getting a bunch more in the near future

I’m impressed. That’s a great idea.

This speaks more of my own ignorance than anything else, but I’m more impressed with using the clamp to hold the bundle super tight... that’s genius.

Back