Chute Release back after nearly 2 years in a tree!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimZNJ

Reaction score
In November 2017 I lost my Estes Pro Series II Nike Smoke and attached Chute Release over 50 feet up in a tree. I tried all sorts of methods to retrieve it, but to no avail. Two weeks ago while attending a club launch at the same site, a gentleman with the crew there to start setting up the annual 4H fair mentioned he'd have a bucket truck at the park in the next week and would try to reach the rocket. Just this past week I received a call from him and he had gotten my rocket down from its lofty perch!

Needless to say the Nike Smoke being a paper tube looked more like a limp noodle, but I was excited to see the Chute Release still attached. Amazingly after enduring countless rainstorms and two entire NJ winters, the condition of the Chute Release was amazingly pristine:

IMG_20190810_121601[1].jpg
IMG_20190810_122208[1].jpg

I do believe what also helped this survive so long was the Dino Chutes protector it was in. It originally was red but the sun bleached it a bit in the past 21 months:

IMG_20190810_121513[1].jpg

So how is the patient?

After disassembling it to look for corrosion and other dirt (didn't find any!):
- I attempted to charge it. It seems to have charged fine and has been running idle now for hours.
- Powering it on, all buttons work properly with no signs of corrosion.
- All indicators work fine.
- The servo to release the pin works fine.

All I need to do is some vacuum testing to see if the pressure sensor was compromised after so long in the elements. I am optimistic though since this very same Chute Release had been lost in a farm field for about 6 months before being found, only to be lost again in that tree on its second flight back in service.

I'll update on the outcome of my tests, but for now it looks like it might just be fine!

Surviving this long is a HUGE testament to the quality that John Beans and Jolly Logic put into this product! I can't say enough positive things about my experiences with Jolly Logic!

A bit of credit also goes to Dino Chutes and their protector. It kept the buttons, USB connector, and the majority of the Chute Release from direct exposure to the elements.

Jim Z

Where did this happen? At the GSSS field?

Yes, it was at the GSSS field. It's been taunting me from the tree each month I've gone to the launches. Fortunately its back home now.

Jim Z

I hung My Thoy Night Hawk payload in a Tree at the METRA field for about 2 years. Someone came by with it during a launch. The altimeter ( Olsen M2) worked for 3 more flights before it gave up the ghost.
I hung My 4.5" Pain Killer max up in a tree at URRF this year. Lucky they have a guy that climbs trees.
Altimeter reported it landed about 60 ft up.

Success!!! I was able to take the recovered Chute Release on its first test flights today, and amazingly all worked as expected. Flight #1 - I simply flew the Chute Release on board a small rocket with it holding a spent engine to verify there would be a release at all, and it worked! Flight #2 - This was my first attempt at letting it control the chute. It was a plastic chute though and didn't inflate cleanly. So while it had released at some point, it was inconclusive as to whether it had done so anywhere near the set altitude. Flight #3 - I switched to a rocket with a little more internal room and switched to a nylon chute. Right on cue at about 200 feet on the way down, the chute was released and inflated.

I can't say enough about the quality of Jolly Logic's products and the components they use, and especially the Chute Release, to have endured 2 harsh Jersey winters and the elements for nearly 2 years and still work, is darn impressive! Everyone I tell the story to is as wowed as I am. :)

Jim Z

Hopefully Mr. Beans will come along soon and read about this. Great story.

Latest posts

Back