Chute/Cord/Blanket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sluggo

Reaction score
I have 6 mid power rockets ready to go. I bought 13 composite motors yesterday from the local hobby shop. I have questions.....

All the kits were bought through Apogee. One complaint..... When a heat blanket is included it is SMALL.!! 6". Its difficult for me to squeeze the chute and shroud lines safely into the blanket. I need to order a 9x9 or a 12x12 protector unless you people can steer me differently.

This is a real beginner question here..... What is the sequence of loading the chute and the shock cord.?? And does the shock cord have to be protected too.?? I have 3 different shock cord materials..... Nylon, Kevlar and a wide elastic cord that is in the Estes Ventris.

I think I'll always combine the blanket with wadding too. Is that common.?? In summary......

Does the cord need to be protected.??
Does the blanket need to be bigger.??
What is the sequence of loading the cord and the chute.??

Does the cord need to be protected.??
Does the blanket need to be bigger.??
What is the sequence of loading the cord and the chute.??
  1. Kevlar does not need to be protected. Nylon will wear down over many launches, but will likely not burn through in a single launch. Elastic needs to be protected. They sell shock cord protectors, which are usually Nomex sleeves.
  2. Bigger blanket? What size tube? You don't want laundry that is jammed in so tightly it can't come out. See below.
  3. There are two ways you can go. First, if there's room, you can wrap your chute and cord in the blanket; but you probably don't have room for that. The second way is to put the blanket in first and shove it down to the ejection charge; then Z-fold and rubberband your cord and drop that in on top; last, put the chute at the top so that it gets out quickly and doesn't tangle.

Wadding + Blanket works too... my way is a little "dog barf" first then what Bat-mite says in item 3.
The wadding will take the brunt of the burning ejection charge.
You didn't say model or size of rocket...A test is pack your gear like you would for flight, BUT with no-motor & no-shear pins. Then blow a "puff" of air into the motor mount. Recovery gear should come out smoothly. If you can't blow it out try packing again.
(I puff test up thru 2.6" body tubes.)

Thanks guys. It sounds like I can use the blanket as wadding meaning the chute and shrouds don't 'have' to be in the blanket. I like that idea. Pobbly still use some wadding though. I've done the blow test on the Rising Star by accident. Thats a good tip for me. Once again.... Thanks for the replies.

The tube sizes are 2.2" and 2.6" .... What is 'Dog Barf.??"

Just to better understand..... I can organize the shock cord, put a rubber band around it and the blast will unravel the cord.?? A light rubberband I assume.?? Does it break or simply unravel.?? I love the idea of keeping things organized in the tube.

Last edited:
What is 'Dog Barf.??
That would be.... blow-in cellulose housing insulation... if you get 1 bale at Big-Box home improvement store, it will last you MANY MANY YEARS, or you can buy smaller quantities from rocket vendors.
This is treated material that will not burn (a must for wadding) while it is also biodegradable (also a must for "stuff blown out and left in the environment"). A small handful between motor and fire blanket, will help protect the recovery gear.

DO NOT EVER USE FIBERGLASS INSULATION for wadding. It will kill small animals that ingest it, and it does not degrade.

Recommended chute protector size per application.
  • 3×3″ for tubes up to 1.5″ in diameter
  • 6×6″ for tubes up to 2″ in diameter
  • 9×9″ for tubes up to 3″ in diameter
  • 12×12″ for tubes up to 4″ in diameter
  • 18×18″ for tubes up to 6″ in diameter
  • 24×24″ for tubes up to 8″ in diameter
  • 36×36″ for tubes up to 12″ in diameter
"Burrito" that chute into the protector.

You can use wadding in addition to the chute protector, but I usually don't. Blow-in insulation is unfortunately referred to as "dog-barf". Loosely wrapped party streamer (flame resistant type) also works as chute protector on smaller rockets.

Back