3D Printing Chuck's 3D Designs 2023

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Ok, this is the location. My goal for 2022 is 183 designs in 2022. I will post them in the thread. If you have ideas of what you want to see, post them here.

To we the whistle:

Screen Shot 2021-12-25 at 11.13.24 AM.png

This one is a simple tool that I testing - two pennies used to make conductors to test resistance on an igniter.

Nose cone with canopy and canards, like the Nemesis and Star Rider cones. Might have to print two halves and glue them together, or with supports, kind of a tricky geometry. Maybe have slots on the cone for the fins that are printed separately and assembled after printing?

This might not be appropriate for FDM, but I think it could be worth tossing out here: Wire Wrap tooling.

Challenges: Small hole/pseudo accurate positions.
Benefits: Not making the little guy try to make small holes with accurate positions!!!

Long story short, when building igniters, you use tiny wire and wrap it around small wires. If you are like me, you bleed about 20 times when making 10.

The real-world wire wrapping techniques (i.e. not thumbnail and squeeze) use a tool that is very smart, easy and not cheap. Additionally, they are made for specific wire sizes we are not interested in and don't work well if the wire diameters are wrong.

After reviewing manual wire wrap tools and electric tools, I made a version that was more functional than my thumbnail and cheap if you can solder, have a Dremel tool and are willing to scrap $5 worth of material while figuring out how to do it. The joints were fairly mechanically sound compared to the thumbnail and squeeze method. Still not a MIL-spec wire wrap, but way closer. . .and no blood.

If 3d printing with FDM can make tiny holes (0.010"-0.020"-ish), this could be a useful tool for people trying to wire wrap odd sizes like we need to do.

I'd be more than happy to discuss and have thought about doing a tutorial for what I made, but I have a lot of tools that many people don't have access to and a tutorial is pointless if nobody has the right tools, IMO. But, if you could make the hard part with 3D printing, then building the tool would be easy.

Sandy.

Lol no worries

Excellent looking forward to seeing this with the color. This can be a great educational tool for teaching kids about motor basics 👍🏼

I did not hit the publish button. Stupid mistake.

I plan to print one next week in pretty colors.

I did not meet the goal to release 183 design in 2022. Trial number 2.

Back