Christmas tree

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THier

Reaction score
Ok,

Where in the heck does this topic go? How do I setup a Christmas tree for launch?

MDRA Xmas tree launch is next month. Best way to do it??????:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Tom

1) Locate Xmas Tree
2) Remove ornaments & lights (optional)
3) Cut a few branches away to create an engine mount area
4) Use metal hose clamps to affix a K550 (preferably with nozzle facing down)
5) Carry treee to pad and thread launch rod through braches close to trunk (1/2" rod works)
6)Wait to see if it falls off pad.
7) Prep for flight
8) Run
9) Ask Neil to push button while hiding behind pile of sand bags
10) Watch $100 motor take tree about 50' up and skywrite until motor burns out.
11) Wait for tree to stop burning.
12) Recover motor case

11a)Point to Al and say 'it was his idea' when the fire department arrives.

:roll: :p

Ok

I have to talk to Neil, I was gonna fly a sparky M in a 6000ns case,, why limit it to a K?

Tom

I have an idea to make this work,, it will be either cool,, or real cool.

Tom

I am probably going to use hose clamps with wooden blocks screwed to the trunk as motor blocks for a three motor cluster. Last year I used a corner of a big cardboard box to make a drag skirt-it's basically a tree sitting on a flying saucer. I used a mailing tube (the triangle shaped kind) to hold a 6' chute set off with a timer. (I thought it would be a fun challenge to try to make it stable and recover it by chute (but I probably missed the point!!)). I used small rail buttons screwed to the trunk with wood screws, and they had 1/4" standoffs (another button) to clear the bumps on the trunk. The path on the trunk for the rail was chosen before any other work was done, and I only had to remove one or two branches.

Last year I drilled a hole in the trunk with a spade bit to hold a 38mm J, don't try this! Although it worked, it was a bad idea!

This IS crazy, no?

Mine is the first still in the video...
https://www.mdra-archive.org/photos/ESL128/ScottTyrrell/Full/ESL128Xmastree2.wmv

:tree:

I was also thinking about this & came up with: use a Wildman Gizmo rocket minus the nose cone, then add one slightly used Christmas tree.

JD

I would absolutely love to try this someday!!!

My motor of choice would probably be the K555 or K1000 Skid. Although I don't need my TRA prefect (he knows who he is:D) ripping out his hair.;)

Oh sparky tree, oh sparky tree!!!:D:D:D

What a way to "spruce" up a launch! :happydeer: :tree:

MarkII

Yeah Mark buy most wood be Pining over the destruction after splintering them all over the field. Better to build em out of paper and cardstock. then you can fly them with orinments and lighting to if ya like:)

409a01-sm_10,5mm-Lite-ChrjistmasTree_12-19-00.jpg

266a-sm_MM 5,25in Christmas Tree_11-24-02.jpg

Did anyone fly their trees yet???

Someday I might just have to buy a real tree so I can do this. Nothing like a :tree: with a huge flame or in my case, flame AND sparks coming from the bottom of it.:D

1-16 and 17 2010 is the tree launch at MDRA. I got a tree from a friend,, and working out the details. Mine will be cool,,,,, or,, "real cool"

Tom

:roll: Good one Dave! Loved the 'Upside Down' tree!:eyepop:

THAT was mine :neener: I think it was stable until it was "influenced" by Daves branch,, I mean "tree".:bangpan:

Get this,, everyone complained I was "cheating" because a tree wasn't meant to fly upside down :confused2:, just how was a tree meant to fly:jaw:?

Tom

THAT was mine :neener: I think it was stable until it was "influenced" by Daves branch,, I mean "tree".:bangpan:

Get this,, everyone complained I was "cheating" because a tree wasn't meant to fly upside down :confused2:, just how was a tree meant to fly:jaw:?

Tom

Don't tell me that I am the first person to shoot down a flying christmas tree?!?!?!

Back