Christmas / Holiday Shows & Movies

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr wogz

Fly caster
Reaction score
OK, the thread for holiday viewing..

(Inspired by the 'rocket give-away' thread)

So, what are your favorites? What are the ones you watch each & every year? What ones do you miss? have memories of?

(Is Die Hard a true "Christmas" movie? or an action movie shot at Christmas time?! :D )

When I was younger, growing up, one of the local TV station would play a series of short around this time. Fairy tales, but uncensored!! the true Hans Christen fairly tales!

The Selfish Giant. About a mean old giant who has a lovely yard, but is walled off. The local kids find / know about a hole in the wall, and go in the play. But Winter (a guy & his wife; jack frost & some chick with a nice wintery coat who blankets teh land with snow) manages to change his mind..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067731/
The little mermaid. Not the Disney classic, but eth true tale Where she makes the sacrifice (her voice) to walk & win the Prince. But then she realizes her selfish want destroys it all. (Circa 1974)

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0404204/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_22

The Happy Prince. A statue of a prince, gilded in gold oversees his town. The town folk are all poor & suffering. the prince befriends a sparrow, and then they distribute his wealth (his gold gild) to eh poorer townsfolk. But once teh gold is all given away, the townsfolk pull down teh 'dirty old statue', and teh swallow never headed south..

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0071596/
Those really stood out for me, early Christmas memories.. Of course the other classics (The Grinch, Charlie Brown, The Muppets..) also hold memories, but not as much as the three above.. Those, and that seasonal classic: The escape of a musical family (a Nun & a Captain & his 72 children) from Nazi occupied Austria..

You? childhood favorites? Annual viewings? Recommendations?

Christmas music video?

A few weeks ago, power metal historians Sabaton came out with a new music video about the 1914 Christmas Truce. It's quite a bit more mellow than their usual songs for obvious reasons.

Apollo 8 footage is also great Christmas material and I cannot be convinced otherwise.

How the Grinch Stole Christmas, 1966 animated version

Rudolph the Red-nosed Reindeer, 1964 (One year I bought my wife the ceramic figurines)

Miracle on 34th Street, the original black and white version from 1947. And damn your eyes if you think the 1973 version with David Hartman and Sebastion Cabot is any good. I would rather watch Santa Claus conquers the Martians for all eternity than watch that monstrosity even once! Just saying.

It's a Wonderful Life

And damn your eyes if you think the 1973 version with David Hartman and Sebastion Cabot is any good. I would rather watch Santa Claus conquers the Martians for all eternity than watch that monstrosity even once! Just saying.

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think.

A Nightmare Before Christmas

White Christmas. Even though Der Bingle is ten years too old for the role we’ll let it slide, Rosemary Clooney sings (she dubbed for Vera-Ellen in the “Sisters” number so you get double Rosemary!), Vera-Ellen dancing - the effects of her substance abuse and eating disorder hadn’t started to show yet so her dancing was amazing, Danny Kaye - who needs a good director to keep him from being too much himself and Michael Curtiz was that good and director Michael Curtiz himself who could, literally, do a bang up job with anything the studio handed him. My wife tolerates watching this every year, she’s not big musical fan, but it’s my favorite traditional Christmas movie - Die Hard being a close second with Meet Me in St. Louis which is only about 3/4 a Christmas movie coming in third 😆

Seems like our favorites at home would be
Elf- will Ferrell
A Christmas story
Home alone
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation

Is Die Hard a true "Christmas" movie? or an action movie shot at Christmas time?!

It's an Xmas movie. The only reason McClane was in the building at all was to attend the Xmas party, and the Xmas party was the reason the bad guys planned their heist on that night. John came to town to spend time with his family because it was Xmas, he wouldn't have come for Halloween or 4th of July.

Back