The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Culprit

Reaction score
This scratch build began with my son taking a knife to a Nerf football and stuffing it into a Tootsie Roll tube coin bank - a small one. He brought it to breakfast and told me he wanted to turn it into the Chocolate Rocket. He sourced some tube fins from the Rolo candy cane tubes you see at Christmas. From there, he and I joined forces and it became a collaboration.

I suggested he could make the cut up Nerf football nosecone look like a Hershey Kiss to follow the Chocolate Rocket theme. He suggested 3D printing a more accurate shape instead, so we did. I drew it up in Fusion 360. He is learning, but that is still a little beyond him. This was last year before we bought our own printer, so a friend printed it for us, and taught us how to slice and prepare models for printing. This was our first 3D printed rocket part! We covered it in epoxy and aluminum foil. My son wanted it to come down under its own streamer separate from the booster with the streamer looking like the paper flag on a wrapped Hershey Kiss. One of my younger daughters volunteered to decorate the streamer.

We made a traditional-construction 24mm motor mount out of a Honey Nut Cheerio box and attached the Kevlar shock cord. The launch lugs are igniter packaging from an Aerotech F from last TARC season. The stand offs are scrap balsa to clear the Hershey Kiss shape of the nose cone. Even though the rocket is stubby, the tube fins provide enough drag, and the epoxy and foil on the nose cone provide enough weight, that the Chocolate Rocket string tested stable. We skipped simming this one in Rock Sim, but did use the Rocket Altitude Calculator at www.unm.edu/~tbeach/flashstuff/RocketAltitudeFixedSize.html.

The first flight was on an Estes D12-something, 5 or 7, with a Bama Recovery Systems rotafoil on the booster. It was a great flight except the streamer for the PLA Hershey Kiss nose cone was too short. Combine that with landing on blacktop and a sizeable chunk was cracked off the shoulder. By then we had our own printer and printed a replacement. The replacement flew on the second flight, also a D12-something, and with a significantly longer streamer. It was a perfect flight in every way!

IMG_2676.jpg IMG_2679.jpg IMG_3008.JPG IMG_3022.jpg IMG_3023.JPG IMG_3196.jpg IMG_3758.jpg IMG_5797.jpg IMG_5804.jpg

Very clever and well done. Its great that you got your son and one of your daughters to work on this.

I'm guessing that kid got a big Hug for that Sweet Project!!! Nice Work!
Well I think it's nuts.

Outstanding project. It seems like your sonp was the driving creative force, not just the original idea but nudging you into 3D printed parts. So good on him!

How did you get the nose kiss's streamer to stream from the top? Is it wrapped on the outside and tucked into the shoulder for launch?

Very cool! Since rockets typically have a very usual form factor it can be difficult to think up something unique, nicely done!

Well I think it's nuts.

Outstanding project. It seems like your sonp was the driving creative force, not just the original idea but nudging you into 3D printed parts. So good on him!

How did you get the nose kiss's streamer to stream from the top? Is it wrapped on the outside and tucked into the shoulder for launch?

Thank you! And yes, the Kevlar comes out the top and is wrapped down the side of the Kiss and tucked in. The seam in the rolled lip of the Tootsie tube is a perfect place to route the Kevlar. If you zoom into the launch picture you can see it.

Here's my Hershey Hug/Kiss Flies on a J800. Made from fiberglass formed over a pinata bought at Chocolate World in Hershet PA.

Attachments

• Ed's Hershey Kiss.JPG
    Ed's Hershey Kiss.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 51
Awesome. Great father and son time. I can hardly get my son to help me with rockets; despite my urging to give it a try he is lacking in self-confidence and balks.

Awesome. Great father and son time. I can hardly get my son to help me with rockets; despite my urging to give it a try he is lacking in self-confidence and balks.

it definitely ebbs and flows. His attention may turn to other things like fishing or basketball and he’ll want nothing to do with rockets for a while. Then out of the blue he’ll have an interest again. For example, he did TARC last year but not this year. Now he’s already recruiting friends for TARC next year. One day at a time. :)

I love the idea of the Hershey's kiss nose coming down on an independent streamer! This is so cool!

If you want to have some more sweet fun, go to a Five Below store and buy some of their mega candy tubes. (If you don't have a store near you, here's a link, but there are only two flavors available online for some reason: https://www.fivebelow.com/candy/mega-tubes.html?icn=candy-clp-banner3&ici=2019-1-13-megatubes)

These tubes are the same size as a heavy-walled BT80, so they will work great with existing rocket kit hardware, but will need sanding on either the inside of the tube or on a shoulder to get a nosecone to fit, and centering rings will need to be reduced. I have already built a rocket from two of these stacked, and it is RUGGED!

I love the idea of the Hershey's kiss nose coming down on an independent streamer! This is so cool!

If you want to have some more sweet fun, go to a Five Below store and buy some of their mega candy tubes. (If you don't have a store near you, here's a link, but there are only two flavors available online for some reason: https://www.fivebelow.com/candy/mega-tubes.html?icn=candy-clp-banner3&ici=2019-1-13-megatubes)

These tubes are the same size as a heavy-walled BT80, so they will work great with existing rocket kit hardware, but will need sanding on either the inside of the tube or on a shoulder to get a nosecone to fit, and centering rings will need to be reduced. I have already built a rocket from two of these stacked, and it is RUGGED!

ebruce1361, we're on the same wavelength! The kids sometimes get Five Below gift cards as prizes in Sunday School. Right now we have 5 tubes waiting on the rocket table in the basement (Warheads, Airheads, Nerds, Haribo Gummy Bears, and Mike & Ike's). Last night I started drawing a fin can in Fusion 360 for them. The only fin can I've drawn and printed so far was empty and I put a traditional motor mount in it. This one I'm drawing with an integral motor mount, engine retainer, and Kevlar shock cord mount so all we have to do is print the fin can and attach it to the tube. Then I can "save as" a few times, edit the fin profile sketch, and each kid can customize their fin shape/design.

That's awesome! I still have yet to get my printer set up, so no 3D modeled parts for me as yet, but they will be forthcoming. I like your idea of a fin can that simply attaches to the tube rather than an assembly IN the tube. I might have to try that out myself! Before all that though, I am planning on using the candy tubes to build an upscale of the Estes Missile Command Navy rocket for my level 1 attempt. That was the first rocket I ever flew, so I feel like it's fitting to use the same design for my first high-power flight. I haven't decided on whether to buy a nose cone for the build or to print one. If I do print it, it will have to be made in two parts and assembled as the entire nose would be too tall for my Ender 3 build volume.
20200106_190219.jpg

Back