Chinese Weather Balloons, and Should You Worry About Them?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice try garnering respect for our venerable friend Steve, but just look at his avatar! How can we respect anyone who would do that to a wiener dog?
I will say he knows how to raise steak on the hoof, and his prowess with a grill is legendary. If you ever do meet Pat, ask him to tell you the story about the ATF agents and the van.... Or maybe not....
I can assure you guys that I have not ever abused my weiner.
1675658649448.jpeg

I got the info direct from the Dept. of Defense official website. How is that fake news? Just because "several people in the USG" said so?
They (official DoD) also said there was another during the early days of the present administration....was that also fake news?

s6
Pretty much.

EDIT: I would almost bet a box of donuts that this shows up in the STOU address.

Last edited:
Like how hard would it have been for the U.S. to rig up one of their own weather balloons with a powered and controlled device to simply snag the sucker and bring it back?
That would take a lot of balls.
Plus precision. Calculating the angle of the dangle would be daunting…

I'm coming to this late so forgive me if this has already been mentioned. Today I heard/read speculation that the balloon could have been a dry run of an EMP device. No electricity for a long time.

That would take a lot of balls.
Plus precision. Calculating the angle of the dangle would be daunting…
A weather balloon grabing another weather balloon has way too many variables to pull that off. But couldnt the USAF, NAVY or Coast Guard rig something up? I believe they all regularly snatch stuff out of the air. Granted. the stuff they go after was launched by us and has recovery harness grab by design. But, come on, we are the best on the planet at this kinda of sfuff. should not have been that hard to capture it. . . . . . . . . . or did we.

Lockheed has a publicly stated ceiling for the F 22 of 65,000 feet. I’m sure that isn’t the actual classified number. It’s probably higher.

There is a human physiological safety issue with flying so high. If the cabin pressurization system failed the pilots blood would boil. That is why U 2 pilots and SR 71 pilots wore pressure suits. I don’t believe F 22 pilots fly with pressure suits.

I'll bet there was a recovery ship just waiting for the the payload to splash down. I read there is one over South or Central America. And a second sighting over the US.

Hypothetical situation
(trying to stay within the boundaries of most recent posts)
Your wife is a world renowned surgeon
You wake up and find your earlobe is missing. The wound is cauterized and bandaged professionally. You ask your wife what happened and she says it must've fallen off during the night. You believe her because she's a world renowned surgeon.

The next morning you wake up and you're missing the end of a finger. The tip is professionally sutured and bandaged. You're suspicious. CNN hasn't mentioned any sort of serial parts cut-er off-er cases so it must be your wife. You ask her about it and she suggests that you were sleepwalking. AHA, that must be it.

The following morning both testicles are missing. Again, you ask your wife about it and she says, that's perfectly normal for someone like you. She's a professional...

Last edited:
That's such a coincidence. I only have one remaining left testicle as well.
I hope you didn't leave the right one on a "pointy" side up chain link fence while trying to climb it. I know a guy who did that as a kid and he said it hurt pretty bad. Injuries like that are a real bloody mess as the scrotum is highly vascular. Kurt

Orbiting satellites from other countries no doubt fly over the US.

I'm wondering at what altitude does a countries border no longer exist? Is there such a designation?

My apology if this has already been discussed here....

Update: It appears there is no vertical airspace limit.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airspace

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back