China lander has reached surface of Mars

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More photos
1624871436841.png
Lander, ramp, Chinese flag.

1624871499476.png
The Rover dropped off a remote camera and took this selfie with the lander.
What struck me is the sharpness of these pictures.

I'm sure the European lander will fall out of the sky and crush it at any moment.
Nope.
ESA Mars Lander Schiaparelli crashed and gouged out a crater in Oct. 2016.
1624912304978.png

And it didn't have a rover.
Amazing what the Chinese have accomplished in just a few short years.
Hope it's a wake up call for our space program.

These probes are all well and good but as far as I know, nobody is developing the technology that will actually make maned missions to Mars a realistic endeavor.
Nine months in a trashcan while the body degenerates under zero-G.
Three months at 1/3rd-G where the assumption* is that the crew will gain some of their health back, then nine additional months of zero-G and we somehow expect these people to survive this ordeal, personally I wouldn't bet on it.
If humanity expects to go to Mars, and perhaps beyond, then we need some form of constant boost drive system both to shorten the travel times and also to give some semblance of gravity along the way.
Barring that Mars is simply unattainable to any great degree and anything beyond Mars is a pipedream.

*The belief that humans will do any better at 1/3rd-G than they do under zero-G is an assumption for which we have absolutely no data to support.

Last edited:
......well, anyone on mars would likely spend all of their free time running around and jumping over things. So...

These probes are all well and good but as far as I know, nobody is developing the technology that will actually make maned missions to Mars a realistic endeavor.
Nine months in a trashcan while the body degenerates under zero-G.
Three months at 1/3rd-G where the assumption* is that the crew will gain some of their health back, then nine additional months of zero-G and we somehow expect these people to survive this ordeal, personally I wouldn't bet on it.
If humanity expects to go to Mars, and perhaps beyond, then we need some form of constant boost drive system both to shorten the travel times and also to give some semblance of gravity along the way.
Barring that Mars is simply unattainable to any great degree and anything beyond Mars is a pipedream.

*The belief that humans will do any better at 1/3rd-G than they do under zero-G is an assumption for which we have absolutely no data to support.
As one prominent scientist said, " It's a perfect suicide Mission"

The will definitely need resistance exercise to keep muscle mass. Weights won't do.

Back