Chester's Cheeto Chaser MKIV

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFeller

Reaction score
I recently started my fourth Chester Cheetah piloted rocket. I have been wanting to get going on this project for a while, but for the last year all of my rocketry time and energy has been focused on the build and flight of our upscale Dragonfly.

At our last lumbering I was give an armload of parts from busted rockets (Thanks, Wilson!) and was inspired to get started. The parts included the nose and tail cones from a BD Galaxy, another BD 4" NC, a shredded PML Spitfire, and a bunch of other pits and pieces.

I have had a P-51 canopy gathering dust for about ten years in the garage. I also had a pair of .25" plywood A4B wings from an abandoned project (The Estes V2 seemed too flimsy in the end) that were also sitting around for 15+ years.

So far I haven't bought a thing for this project and I hope to keep it that way!

The BT will be longer than shown and the dorsal nacelle will be cut down and the front will have an elliptical front to it, but this goes some idea of what it will last ok like:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 124
That cockpit is freaking awesome! Did you have to do any modifications to the P-51 canopy before it was mounted?

That cockpit is freaking awesome! Did you have to do any modifications to the P-51 canopy before it was mounted?

Thanks! I didn't have to modify it at all. It is actually mounted backwards, because it conforms to the nosecone much better that way. Basically I just traced the outline, cut out the cockpit hole for Chester, and then attached it with screws. I used #6 SS wood screws and finish washers. On past versions I have used CA to attach the cockpit, but this way it is removable. I also like the appearance it gives.

image.jpg

I've made some progress. I added gussets along the root edges of the fins. They are made from a piece of cedar I cut on my table saw. I epoxied and screwed them in place and then removed the screws for paint. Since the epoxy doesn't stick to the plastic nose cone the screws are functional, plus they look cool.

Paint is Duplicolor "Metalcast" orange.

Looks really cool. Will this be flying at Sheridan by chance?

It will be, if all goes as plans... :) We are planning to fly the Dragonfly on an L1520 Saturday. Chester's Cheeto Chaser Mark IV should also fly, I just need to fish a little paint and put the cockpit together.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472843844.599673.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472843894.227206.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472843916.028479.jpg

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1472843931.371910.jpg

Chester is just about ready to fly.

I need to sort out the recovery, but other than that it is good to go. I am thinking about using a 60" X-form chute for the body and a 36" chute for the nosecone.

The rocket weighs 5 pounds, ten ounces minus recovery. I am thinking that I will probably do an H210R, but it is a bit underpowered, simulations put it at about 700'. I have a 480 NS case, but that results in a higher top speed than I would like to start out with. A 360 NS motor would probably be ideal, but I was hoping to use what I already have...

Looks awesome! The 480 NS will be about right, IMO. A J350 would be awesome though.

Looks awesome! The 480 NS will be about right, IMO. A J350 would be awesome though.

My 480NS case is Loki, and I believe they may even have a sparky in that size. There is an I178DM AT reload for the 360NS case that would also work great. The J350 would be awesome as long as the canopy didn't implode!

It will fly at Fillible's Folly near Sheridan on the 17th. If I can make it to Brothers for Rocketober I'll fly it there as well.

Back