Cherokee-E launch today on a B6-4(Video)!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

86mustang408w

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I broke done and lauched it today, was worried about recovery so the first flight was on a B6-4. Thats in the video, then launched on a C6-3 and just about lost it. Went about 600 feet past some buildings. Maybe I need to put a little bit bigger holes in the chute, or just stay away from C engines around here.

Attachments

• 20230603_115946.mp4
    40.2 MB
I think it flies good on a B motor. I have several BT55 size models that fly high enough on B motors, almost too high for me on C motors. I've seen them flown on D and E motors, I'm not brave enough for that. I think BT55 is a good tube size for B motors on our small field.

I think it flies good on a B motor. I have several BT55 size models that fly high enough on B motors, almost too high for me on C motors. I've seen them flown on D and E motors, I'm not brave enough for that. I think BT55 is a good tube size for B motors on our small field.
I agree, I'm gonna have to start buying heavier rockets and flying them on B6-4's. I have bulk pack of A8-3, thats good for my Alpha III, Generic E2X, etc..

Difficulty in getting the rocket down faster with a spill hole or streamer to keep it on a small field with the bigger motor is that fins or body tubes can get damaged when it hits the ground too fast. That video flight on a B was perfect.

I agree, I'm gonna have to start buying heavier rockets and flying them on B6-4's. I have bulk pack of A8-3, thats good for my Alpha III, Generic E2X, etc..
Altitude vs. rocket size vs. motor size can be a bit touchy when trying to optimize for a small field.
I've found that medium length BT55 rockets on B6 motors work pretty well for a small field but still get enough altitude to be interesting. Similarly the Baby Bertha and maybe the Big Bertha. Anything just a bit larger/heavier such as the Estes ESAM is somewhat marginal on a B6. We had a lot of people launch Alphas today on A8 motors and they fly well enough on that combination, an Alpha on a B motor will go too high for a small field.
Anyway, half of my local club launch days are on a small field so I've been gathering rockets that will fly well on a small field without having to chase them into the street or rescue them from trees or the nearby lake. Most recently I built 4 new models based on BT55 tubes. Previously I had built a lot of BT60 rockets then I learned that most of them don't fly high enough on B6 motors, and can be problematic for a small field on C6 motors.

You don't have to buy heavier rockets; you can instead build them heavier. Add snap swivels, create a payload bay (in the main body tube or in the nose cone), add a baffle, use an altimeter, install a parachute protector and so on. Before you know it, you've doubled the "estimated" weight of a completed rocket.

And I agree with @bjphoenix in that the B engine seemed perfect for your rocket in that video.

if You don’t mind bashing (or at least deviating from planned construction) or scratch building, you can do pretty well with streamers or bigger spill holes if you build the rockets with a forward swept trailing edge on the fins (or move the fins forward.). Objective is that the rocket’s first impact point is the motor casing, not the fins. Nice trick for small fields.

@lakeroadster ‘s Ahpla is a good example

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/lakeroadsters-2-stage-alpha-variant.169368/
I think it could be done on a Big Bertha but it would look pretty weird, you’d still need to move the fins forward, and you’d likely need some nose weight,

i guess that would be an Ahtreb Gib?

i guess that would be an Ahtreb Gib?
Ahtreb was the 5th Bee Gee. So we can't call it that due to Massachusetts reciprocity laws, aka the "Stayin' Alive Act".

As to the "Big Backwards Bertha"... now I want to build one. Here's a link to a thread I started for this rocket.

Ya know if Estes would adopt this alternative technique they could darn near double their inventory of available rocket designs. Darn near.

Big Backwards Bertha.jpg

Last edited:
Ahtreb was the 5th Bee Gee. So we can't call it that due to Massachusetts reciprocity laws, aka the "Stayin' Alive Act".

As to the "Big Backwards Bertha"... now I want to build one.

Ya know if Estes would adopt this alternative technique they could darn near double their inventory of available rocket designs. Darn near.

View attachment 584520
Now I want to see the Ahtreb Ybab! That’s gonna need some nose weight!

As to the "Big Backwards Bertha"... now I want to build one.

View attachment 584520
It looks like Bertha’s meaner younger sister. Do this is in olive drab with some stenciled lettering and numbering a looks like some kind of mean Army missile.

Altitude vs. rocket size vs. motor size can be a bit touchy when trying to optimize for a small field.
I've found that medium length BT55 rockets on B6 motors work pretty well for a small field but still get enough altitude to be interesting. Similarly the Baby Bertha and maybe the Big Bertha. Anything just a bit larger/heavier such as the Estes ESAM is somewhat marginal on a B6. We had a lot of people launch Alphas today on A8 motors and they fly well enough on that combination, an Alpha on a B motor will go too high for a small field.
Anyway, half of my local club launch days are on a small field so I've been gathering rockets that will fly well on a small field without having to chase them into the street or rescue them from trees or the nearby lake. Most recently I built 4 new models based on BT55 tubes. Previously I had built a lot of BT60 rockets then I learned that most of them don't fly high enough on B6 motors, and can be problematic for a small field on C6 motors.
Yeah. It's decent sized field, but the wind here goes from 2 or 3 mph to damn 20 in a few seconds, lol. I can't get a read on launching. Got lucky a few times, lost one and almost another...

You don't have to buy heavier rockets; you can instead build them heavier. Add snap swivels, create a payload bay (in the main body tube or in the nose cone), add a baffle, use an altimeter, install a parachute protector and so on. Before you know it, you've doubled the "estimated" weight of a completed rocket.

And I agree with @bjphoenix in that the B engine seemed perfect for your rocket in that video.
I'm gonna make them bit heavier. That was perfect except for the parachute, but I forgot baby power.

An alternative to consider besides adding weight, to slow things down and keep the altitude lower, is to add drag. Like a nozzle instead of a boat tail. You might be able to make one that is removable and friction fit, so you can fly with or without it depending on field size & motor size.

Also, there are some other high-drag odd-rocs like Sputnik, saucers, spools, and spinners, for example Estes Quinstar, or Art Applewhite designs, they don't get too high and don't even need a parachute!

An alternative to consider besides adding weight, to slow things down and keep the altitude lower, is to add drag. Like a nozzle instead of a boat tail. You might be able to make one that is removable and friction fit, so you can fly with or without it depending on field size & motor size.

Also, there are some other high-drag odd-rocs like Sputnik, saucers, spools, and spinners, for example Estes Quinstar, or Art Applewhite designs, they don't get too high and don't even need a parachute!
Yeah I just need to experiment!!! Getting more fun though!!

I lost my Cherokee-E on an E motor, and have lost many Cherokee-D's on D motors. The D and E motors are just so much fun! :D

I've only launched my Cherokee-E one time on an E-12-6. I got it back but It flew soo high I'm scared to send it again. It looks too cool to lose.

Last edited:
Got it done, and stickers put on from Stickershock23. I didn't line up the blues bc the Estes kit decals were a match. But his blue I picked(think it was Royal or Navy Blue)was off. Kinda upset but after seeing it outside the 3 blues with the black matches nicely. On the the next one...

Attachments

• 20230617_031901.jpg
    20230617_031901.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1
That Cherokee-E flies so straight and true. I love it. I modified mine a bit by papering the fins, and painting the inside of the body tube with cyanoacrylate to try and stiffen the main frame. I used the small piece of body tube to make a conventional payload bay where I keep an altimeter and an Eggfinder mini GPS locator. Without electronics she weighs in at about 6.5 oz. Now to the good stuff-

C6-5 200 ft. (My notes said “very underpowered, wobbly)
D12-5 800ft
E12-6 1500ft
AT F30-8-FJ 2100ft
AT F32-8-T 2800ft
She’s flown about 20 flights- one of my favorite fliers!

Last edited:
That Cherokee-E flies so straight and true. I love it. I modified mine a bit by papering the fins, and painting the inside of the body tube with cyanoacrylate to try and stiffen the main frame. I used the small piece of body tube to make a conventional payload bay where I keep an altimeter and an Eggfinder mini GPS locator. Without electronics she weighs in at about 6.5 oz. Now to the good stuff-

C6-5 200 ft. (My notes said “very underpowered, wobbly)
D12-5 800ft
E12-6 1500ft
AT F30-8-FJ 2100ft
AT F32-8-T 2800ft
She’s flown about 20 flights- one of my favorite fliers!
I cant wait to fly it next month with SPAAR here in P.A!! Ill post all that for sure! I bought two of these, LOL!!! Mine went about 200 with a B4-4.

Back