Cherokee-E GPS Finder

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MolarM

Reaction score
HI- I'm new to electronics. I'm currently building a Hobby Lobby version of an Estes Cherokee E. I'd like to try flying it with E and F motors primarily at Lucerne. I'd like to recover the rocket (or what will be left of it) by using a GPS locator. Payload body tube (bt 55) internal dimensions are approximately 5.5"-6" X ~ 32-33mm. My phone is an Apple iPhone 11 ProMax. Do you have any thoughts or advice on brands that i can fit or stuff into payload bay without having to use a sled? Thanks in advance, rockets are fun

Mike

Last edited:
You can put an Eggfinder Mini into that payload bay, just wrap it with the battery in something for cushioning. The caveat is that you have to build it... Eggtimer Rocketry products are sold as kits.

Thanks for the response. Building it wouldn't be a problem. I looked at the Eggtimer site, and was wondering if I got the "whole enchilada Mini"- that would work for this? and I wouldn't need my phone? Also, what kind of battery would be best and where would i get it? Thanks again

Someone recommended this for rockets. Not sure how to put a dog collar on a rocket. https://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Technology-MARCOPOLO-Advanced-Monitoring/dp/B01N9592RQ/ref=sr_1_38

I imagine it wouldn't be incredibly difficult to remove the actual transceiver module from the collar and integrate just that hardware into a rocket. However, if the pictures and description are any clue, I'd guess the actual locator would be too big to fit in a BT55. I suppose more extreme modifications could be made to make it fit, but I'd think a BT60 would be a more accommodating size. On top of that, the description says it it 10 ounces, but I'm guessing that's with the collar included. I would guess 7 ounces for the transceiver by itself.

Thanks for the response. Building it wouldn't be a problem. I looked at the Eggtimer site, and was wondering if I got the "whole enchilada Mini"- that would work for this? and I wouldn't need my phone? Also, what kind of battery would be best and where would i get it? Thanks again
Correct, if you get the GPS add-on for the LCD receiver then you do not need another device for tracking. The transmitters use a 2S LiPo battery, Hobby King has a wide variety of them, typically for under $8, a charger is about $30. If you get into any kind of hobby rocketry electronics (trackers, altimeters, dual-deploy, etc.) you're going to need a LiPo charger anyway.

Most chargers use the WHITE plug, it's a "balance" connector. It gives the charger access to the individual cells, so the charger can charge them so they have have the same voltage. The RED plug is a "JST" plug (actually it's a JST-RCY), that's what you connect to your altimeter/tracker/whatever.

Most chargers use the WHITE plug, it's a "balance" connector. It gives the charger access to the individual cells, so the charger can charge them so they have have the same voltage. The RED plug is a "JST" plug (actually it's a JST-RCY), that's what you connect to your altimeter/tracker/whatever.

Yeah, for whatever reasons, this particular charger (the B6) won't charge unless both connections are made (the white balance, plus the other). I'm not sure why it needs both.

HI- I'm new to electronics. I'm currently building a Hobby Lobby version of an Estes Cherokee E. I'd like to try flying it with E and F motors primarily at Lucerne. I'd like to recover the rocket (or what will be left of it) by using a GPS locator. Payload body tube (bt 55) internal dimensions are approximately 5.5"-6" X ~ 32-33mm. My phone is an Apple iPhone 11 ProMax. Do you have any thoughts or advice on brands that i can fit or stuff into payload bay without having to use a sled? Thanks in advance, rockets are fun

Mike
The Featherweight GPS Tracker will easily fit in there. Last year I crammed a Featherweight GPS tracker and a Featherweight Raven into a 29mm compartment that was less than 3" long. 32mm x 6" is pretty roomy by comparison. The tracker with antenna weighs 15 grams. The little 400 mAhr battery adds another 9 grams and lasts for 16 hours.

Thanks for the responses, good info on the GPS's, batteries, and chargers. I'll check those systems

Thanks for the help- I ended up getting two Eggtimer gps mini transmitters, an LCD receiver with gps, and I’m going to get the Black Aero case for it. Still need the battery/ charger combo. Can’t wait to be able to use this stuff and be able to fly again. Is there a “jonesing to be able to fly” thread?

Last edited:
Back