Cherokee D Decals

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danieljh14

Reaction score
I just finished my Cherokee D clone and have a question about the decals. I bought them from Excelsior and they are great but I'm trying to figure out where the numbers 1-9 and 0 go on the rocket. I noticed on the scan of the original Estes decals have the numbers as well. All the pictures I have seen of the Cherokee D don't show any numbers on them. Where do these go or are they extra?

The extra numbers are just that. "Extras" use the any way you want.

If you recal the Este D-13 decal set. Numbers UNITED STATES, roll patterns and "stuff" all over the place and this decal set was for both the Estes K-35 Constellation Estes K-46 Shrike both used this same decal set.

It was pretty much left up to the builders imagination.

Several of Estes decal sets came that way.

I always thought you could use them on a fin like a "race car's" number etc.

Yup. I cannot figure out the significance of the number 3 in the Goblin decals, for instance. Just something random that they threw in?

Many of the early Astron kits from Estes Industries did not come with any decals. In the illustrations for models like the Cobra, the Big Bertha and the Alpha, the decals on them actually came from sets of general-purpose decals that Estes also sold. The builder could apply any decal or group of decals, along with pin-striping and other treatments, that he or she desired in order to give the rocket a unique look. The idea that there was a standard decor for each kit didn't apply then; I believe that Vern Estes didn't want that, because he wanted kids who built his kits to be free to use their imaginations. That was very much in the spirit of that era (the 1960's).

MarkII

Last edited:
I know, a little off topic from the Cherokee D,

Here's a little more trivial, random information about that "3" decal in the Goblin kit.

Very few notice, but in the instructions, the 3 is flipped over onto it's back.
In the instructions, the Goblin is drawn on it's side so the 3 decal reads as normal. But, when standing upright it is actually laying down.

https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/estes/k-55a.tif

When I was building my Goblin family, on the three bigger models I set the decals as in the instructions. The MicroMaxx version, with the body tube and fins printed from from:
https://sites.google.com/site/waynenator/Goblin.TIF
has the 3 reading normally.

GoblinFamily4Standing.jpg

Yup. I cannot figure out the significance of the number 3 in the Goblin decals, for instance. Just something random that they threw in?

Many of the early Astron kits from Estes Industries did not come with any decals. In the illustrations for models like the Cobra, the Big Bertha and the Alpha, the decals on them actually came from sets of general-purpose decals that Estes also sold. The builder could apply any decal or group of decals, along with pin-striping and other treatments, that he or she desired in order to give the rocket a unique look. The idea that there was a standard decor for each kit didn't apply then; I believe that Vern Estes didn't want that, because he wanted kids who built his kits to be free to use their imaginations. That was very much in the spirit of that era (the 1960's).

MarkII

I think it was their lucky number or something there are "3's" in LOTS of Estes kits..

I just finished my Cherokee D clone and have a question about the decals. I bought them from Excelsior and they are great but I'm trying to figure out where the numbers 1-9 and 0 go on the rocket....
I use them for serial numbers. "01" & "02" were originals, long gone. "03" & "04" are clones, and still fly. "05" is an upscale, and has had a rough life, but still flies. :)

I know, a little off topic from the Cherokee D,

Here's a little more trivial, random information about that "3" decal in the Goblin kit.

Very few notice, but in the instructions, the 3 is flipped over onto it's back.
In the instructions, the Goblin is drawn on it's side so the 3 decal reads as normal. But, when standing upright it is actually laying down.

https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/estes/k-55a.tif

When I was building my Goblin family, on the three bigger models I set the decals as in the instructions. The MicroMaxx version, with the body tube and fins printed from from:
https://sites.google.com/site/waynenator/Goblin.TIF
has the 3 reading normally.
Actually, I noticed that right off, and spent some time pondering which way to orient it on mine. I decided that the sideways 3 just didn't make sense, so I oriented mine to be vertical and slightly angled so that it is perpendicular to the fin's trailing edge, like it is shown in the catalogs.

MarkII

Back