Cheap Astrovision type camera option $10

Discussion in 'Rocketry Electronics and Software' started by Meat, Feb 9, 2009.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Feb 9, 2009 #1

Meat

Meat

Meat

Ok so I went to the local Wallmart last night and found a $9 digital camera that takes video . This is of course what you would expect for $9 however it seems very similar to what is in the astrovision .
    The camera take 17 seconds of video between 5 and 10 fps . all stored on board . The camera is a digital concepts clip on camera model 11692/11693 I will put some info in scratch builds as I mod this thing and make a small astrovision type scratch built rocket .

2. Feb 9, 2009 #2

FROB

FROB

FROB

Cool
    what resolution ?
    can you post some test clips?

Cheers

3. Feb 9, 2009 #3

Meat

Meat

Meat

About the same looking res as the astro box says 640x 480 not sure how i trust I am going to pick up a couple of micro switches so i can mod the buttons on this thing ill post pics along with dimensions and weight when I get back . The thing is a little bit flakey but doesn't seem anymore than the astrovision :p one good thing though is it is vista computable which is one up on astro. a little modding will be needed to make it work as needed two main things is you have to change modes to get to video mode which is a little hard to tell when mounted in a tube. The second is the video mode is acchieved by holding down the shutter button which of course wont work on the rocket. I have overcome that part though I shorted the two leads and it worked fine so I will solder a small slider micro switch on there that should fix that. I need to maybe figure out some way to delay its start to give time to get back and launch you only have 17 seconds of video on it.

4. Feb 11, 2009 #4

CharlaineC

CharlaineC

CharlaineC

I have one of thouse tiny key chain camera that i want to do this with.

5. Feb 11, 2009 #5

Meat

Meat

Meat

I haven't had a chance to do much with it since that day it measures roughly 1.6x 1.6 inches out of its casing . I was able to wire a small slider switch to bypass the shutter and it works well . The mode button I was not so lucky with I am just not that damn good with a soldering iron. I will post pics of it later. I got sidetracked on my scratch build sidewinder.