The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

Status
Not open for further replies.

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
A Brief Guide to TRF's Chat Page

TRF's chat page (found in the Quick Links menu) is a Java-based IRC client.

Firstly, if you want to connect using your own IRC client (such as mIRC, VIRC, Xchat, etc) the connection details are:
#TheRocketryForum on irc.rocketryforum.com:6667.

The Topic shows the chat room (or Channel, as they're called on IRC) topic - this usually has very little, if anything, to do with the current flow of chat.
The User list shows all the users currently logged into the chat. This does not mean that those users are all chatting, paying attention, using their computer or even awake... Several people tend to stay logged in all the time as it's just too much effort to open and close the program when they actually want to chat. ;)
The Chat window, funnily enough, shows the chat - both messages from other people and from yourself, as well as messages about people joining and leaving the channel. It keeps a buffer of chat for you to scroll back over if you miss something.
And finally the Text box is where you type your messages, hitting enter to send them.

The main channel is a public room, everyone in it can see what you type. If you want to start a private chat with another user, all you have to do is double-click on their name in the User list. This will open a new tab with the user's name on it (marked as Private chat on the screenshot) - anything you post here will be between you and the user. The main chat window is still there, just click the #TheRocketryForum tab to go back to it. If there is any chat in a tab while you're looking at another, it will turn red to let you know. The Status tab shows

Useful Commands
IRC-based chat has a few commands to help you do certain things. These are typed in the text box like any other message.

/me message - The most important one. This lets you talk about yourself in the third person (see the pink lines of text in the screenshot?), just type /me at the start of your message.

/join #ChannelName - Lets you join another channel on this server. You can see a list of all the channels by hitting the conveniently-named Channels button.

/nick NewNickname - Lets you change your nickname in the chat, no spaces allowed in the nicks. Handy for changing to something like "WiK|Away" and back again to let people know you're not paying attention.

Actually I think those are about the only ones you need.

Troubleshooting

The chat page uses Java, so if it's not working the first thing to check is whether it's installed and at the latest version. Go here, and it will check for the latest version, and if it's not installed it will give you a link to download it.
If the chat applet works but fails to connect, this could be because the IRC port is being blocked by your firewall/router - this is done on most workplace internet connections for obvious reasons. ;)
If it's neither of those things then either drop me a PM or post a reply to this thread and I'll try and figure it out.

Feel free to reply to this thread with any other chat questions.

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited:

discovery

Reaction score
Excuse me!
Why can't i chat in window chat although i set up the Java ?

WiK

Site Admin
Reaction score
Excuse me!
Why can't i chat in window chat although i set up the Java ?
Sorry about the delayed reply!

Does the chat client display for you, but not connect? If so, IRC may be blocked by a firewall on your computer or network. If the chat client isn't displaying, then there's still something wrong with Java on your computer.

Hope that helps,
Phil

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Thanks for letting me know!

Status
Not open for further replies.