Changing a klima D9-0 to a D9-P ????

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thijs

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I've got some left over D9-0 booster rocket engines, and I would like to plug them so I can use them together with a D9-7 engine in a cluster rocket.
There is enough space at the top of the rocket engine to build a plug or something like that.
My question is: Is there anyone who has plugged an booster engine before and what would be the best method?
Is it possible to transform a D9-0 to a D9-P ????
And if it is possible, can I just fill the top off with epoxy glue????
Also, I would like it if the engine didn't explode or the parachute would deploy immediately, since it will be the rocket first flight.

Hello everyone,

I've got some left over D9-0 booster rocket engines, and I would like to plug them so I can use them together with a D9-7 engine in a cluster rocket.
There is enough space at the top of the rocket engine to build a plug or something like that.
My question is: Is there anyone who has plugged an booster engine before and what would be the best method?
Also, I would like it if the engine didn't explode or the parachute would deploy immediately, since it will be the rocket first flight.

Appling epoxy will work nicely. Just make sure the epoxy layer is a couple of mm thick.

Hello everyone,

Klima motors use a different propellant from Estes motors so the recommendations in favour of plugging with epoxy may not be valid. But it's certainly a modification of the motor so, if you're flying with insurance when using normal motors, flights using motors you plugged won't be insured.

Better would be to block and vent the motor mounts which will hold the D9-0 motors.

Klima motors use a different propellant from Estes motors so the recommendations in favour of plugging with epoxy may not be valid. But it's certainly a modification of the motor so, if you're flying with insurance when using normal motors, flights using motors you plugged won't be insured.

Better would be to block and vent the motor mounts which will hold the D9-0 motors.

Go fly it at a TRA launch that allows Research motors after joining TRA and one will be fine. Kurt

The OP is from the Netherlands and may have different restrictions on what constitutes modifying a motor, in the US plugging the motor of a -0 booster motor is debate-able as to iwhether it becomes a EX motor or not. As for plugging the motor with epoxy it may work, Klima Motors are unavailable in the US so we haven't gotten much chance to play with them. Ground testing would be the only method I can think of to verify the effect epoxy plugging of the motor would have.

I've plugged tons of motors with epoxy. I have no idea what propellant those use, but as long as it isn't reactive with epoxy, you should be OK. You can also fashion a paper cap to fit the tube and then plug above that.

Afaik they use some whistle mix so some Perchlorate / Salicylate.
If the rules are similar in the Netherlands to Germany, which is likely, sealing the motor with epoxy is not legal without a special license.

Nevertheless if Leo says epoxy will work you can thrust him.

Back