Challenger Memorial Regional Meet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwmzmm

Reaction score
When: April 4-5, 2009
Where: Needville, TX
Hosted by: Challenger 498 NAR Section

Events:

Sport Scale
E Streamer Duration
C Boost Glide Duration
B Helicopter Duration
A Parachute Duration

For more information and to pre-register, go to:

https://www.geocities.com/tccnar/UpcomingEventsTX.html

and scroll down until you see Challenger Memorial Regional. Hope to
see you there!

When: April 4-5, 2009
Where: Needville, TX
Hosted by: Challenger 498 NAR Section

Events:

Sport Scale
E Streamer Duration
C Boost Glide Duration
B Helicopter Duration
A Parachute Duration

For more information and to pre-register, go to:

https://www.geocities.com/tccnar/UpcomingEventsTX.html

and scroll down until you see Challenger Memorial Regional. Hope to
see you there!

New date: June 13 - 14, 2009
Everything else remains the same.

There was some discussion about it over on the Challenger 498 yahoo group... apparently Dave was having some problems because he had less than the requisite number of pre-registrations to classify it as a Regional meet, or even an Open meet, so he delayed it after a short discussion between the guys and Lee James with NAR competition consortium or whatever it is...

Hope this helps! Better work on your tan before the June contest-- it'll be hot and everybody'll fry being out there that long for contest events... LOL:)

OL JR :)

There was some discussion about it over on the Challenger 498 yahoo group... apparently Dave was having some problems because he had less than the requisite number of pre-registrations to classify it as a Regional meet, or even an Open meet, so he delayed it after a short discussion between the guys and Lee James with NAR competition consortium or whatever it is...

Hope this helps! Better work on your tan before the June contest-- it'll be hot and everybody'll fry being out there that long for contest events... LOL:)

Truth is we did have enough (after the fact) to hold a Regional, but due to the very heavy TARC qualification events taking place over at JSC during the
same weekend, hardly any from our friends across town could make it. I've
already received positive comments regarding making the change to June. When I originally chose the April date, I totally forgot about TARC. The last
I heard, over 30 TARC teams were on hand for practice/qualification flights
(imagine how many people that is)......

Better work on your tan before the June contest-- it'll be hot and everybody'll fry being out there that long for contest events... LOL:)

Hey, the back of my neck was sunburned for several days after our club launch in the middle of March, so I know how it'll be in June. I was literally, if you'll pardon the expression, a redneck. :D

Hey, the back of my neck was sunburned for several days after our club launch in the middle of March, so I know how it'll be in June. I was literally, if you'll pardon the expression, a redneck. :D

Only several days?! Back in the summer of 1978, I drove all the way from
north-central Louisiana (where I lived at the time) to central Texas for participate in a NAR Sanctioned Regional meet held in Dripping Springs, TX
(just west of Austin). We were out on the range for two days, with NO
overhead canopies and the temperature for both days were well over 110 degrees F. My neck, arms, and any place that wasn't protected fully was
thoroughly sunburned that gave me real problems for nearly four weeks afterwards; skin blistering, feeling wet underneath the blisters, and then
horrible itching/rash like symptoms that drove me crazy. I resolved after
that Regional that I would never allow myself to get in that situation again
(and I haven't).

Only several days?! Back in the summer of 1978, I drove all the way from
north-central Louisiana (where I lived at the time) to central Texas for participate in a NAR Sanctioned Regional meet held in Dripping Springs, TX
(just west of Austin). We were out on the range for two days, with NO
overhead canopies and the temperature for both days were well over 110 degrees F. My neck, arms, and any place that wasn't protected fully was
thoroughly sunburned that gave me real problems for nearly four weeks afterwards; skin blistering, feeling wet underneath the blisters, and then
horrible itching/rash like symptoms that drove me crazy. I resolved after
that Regional that I would never allow myself to get in that situation again
(and I haven't).

Yeah, been there done that. One warning I can give you, NEVER EVER EVER get shampoo or soap on sunburned blistered skin... it will get under the outer layer of skin to the healing layers underneath and attack them. I did that one time, took a shower and shampooed and got out and dried off, got dressed, was fine. Within five minutes I started itching and burning and hurting so bad I was just walking around the house in AGONY because it itched and hurt so bad and I couldn't do ANYTHING about it. I felt literally like somebody could have shot me in the head they'd have been doing me a favor!!! Dang!

Gotta watch those sunburns! Nasty stuff! OL JR :)

Yeah, been there done that. One warning I can give you, NEVER EVER EVER get shampoo or soap on sunburned blistered skin... it will get under the outer layer of skin to the healing layers underneath and attack them. I did that one time, took a shower and shampooed and got out and dried off, got dressed, was fine. Within five minutes I started itching and burning and hurting so bad I was just walking around the house in AGONY because it itched and hurt so bad and I couldn't do ANYTHING about it. I felt literally like somebody could have shot me in the head they'd have been doing me a favor!!! Dang!

Gotta watch those sunburns! Nasty stuff! OL JR :)

In my case, the blistering & itching didn't start until about three to four days
following my return home (it was an eight hour drive from Dripping Springs to
Natchitoches, LA cruising at an average speed of 70 mph in my 1967 Chevy
Impala!). First the blistering came, then the feeling of water (or fluid) between the blister & the skin surface underneath the blister, and finally the
itching with some rash like symptoms. Of course, my skin peeled like crazy, too. Learned a very hard lesson.

Due to lack of preregistrations, the Challenger Memorial Regional has been
CANCELLED. We will have only a sport launch Saturday (June 13th) instead,
from 10 AM - 5 PM.

Thank you.

Back