CHAD staged Mosquito - FOUND!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Hey folks! I figured this once-in-a-lifetime event deserved its own thread.

We had a launch today (which will get a thread of its own for a full launch report) in which TRF member PTooley (?) joined us for the first time. With him he brought a tiny CHAD staged Estes Mosquito. Of course, we all instantly agreed that it would vanish forever never to be seen again.

The bottom stage was simply an A10-0T with Mosquito fins and the upper stage was, well, a regular Mosquito. Upon launch, the tiny rocket disappeared from view. All we saw was tracking smoke and blue sky. Surprisingly, we found the booster with no problem. Then came all the theories as to where the sustainer went. (Real scientists at work here. Grass was harmed in the testing of those theories.)

So, long after nearly everyone had gone I decided to put up my Citation Patriot clone for a nice last hoorah. It strangely took an odd path, weathercocking badly, and landed not even a few feet from the tiny yellow Mosquito.

To PTooley, if you're out there, you're one lucky SOB (...and Joe M. too who flew his 4-29SS on dual G40s...that's another story) and you've got a rocket to claim.

If only these guys would rub their luck off on me. :rolleyes: ;)

Here we see Pat meditating heavily before launch. I think his good karma and overall respect of rocketry granted him a pass from the rocket gods.

Even tiny birds like this need massive standoffs to support their weight. :D

From the ground-up view, it sure resembles a Saturn V! :D Great shot Jason...

Really folks, how often does the Mosquito get this much attention? Just thought I'd share.

Pat, drop me a line. I can get the rocket to you in the mail or you could join us for a launch next month. Thanks for coming out. You rockets added to the mix nicely.

Not to diminish the amazing luck it is to find any Skeeter, but putting fins on the booster is cheating. SCHAD - Sorta Cheap and Dirty

Yeah what he said, Scad! but funny none the less:D Eugene that's just plain sick!!!
My Scouts used to paint all the Mosquitos Camo. and/or greens cause we never got one back..no matter what color we painted them:) one summer Troop 364 went through over 100 Mosquito's without a single recovery... 15 to 24 Scout, their attending parent's and adult leaders all looking hard...A3-4t's and A10's not a single return. After changing to the camo paint jobs several were located by crunch recovery later in the summer!:D

WOW. What luck. Thanks Eugene!!

I figured losing a mosquito was a suitable offering to the rocket gods for returning the Commanche fully stacked and my wizard on the C6-7, not to mention the 2x G launch.

Just hang on to the Mosq, we can try to lose it again next month
:D

SCHAD?? Yes not a true CHAD stage, but the CG would be waaaaay back there on the tiny Mosquito.

To avoid endangering innocent people I found it necessary to add some fin area.

;)

Originally posted by pdooley
WOW. What luck. Thanks Eugene!!

I figured losing a mosquito was a suitable offering to the rocket gods for returning the Commanche fully stacked and my wizard on the C6-7, not to mention the 2x G launch.

Allright, ya had me goin there a while believing you just mighta found that skeeter, but NOW you say you also got back a full stack Commanche and a Wizard on a C6-7!?!??

You guys are gonna git in trouble fer all that fibbin!:D

Originally posted by SwingWing
Allright, ya had me goin there a while believing you just mighta found that skeeter, but NOW you say you also got back a full stack Commanche and a Wizard on a C6-7!?!??

You guys are gonna git in trouble fer all that fibbin!:D

SwingWing, all kidding aside - ChrisVG flew his Comanche 3 FULLY stacked: D12/C6/C6-7!!! This is *not* the first time he's done this. Pat flew his Wizard on a C6-7 - I happened to spot it too! You see, in the past 4-6 months I've lost 2 camera pods, an autographed upscale Deuce, crashed a beautiful TLP Hawk, crashed an upscale Der Red Max, and either lost or crashed a few other of my fine rockets. I think I've pretty much bought our club rocket-god rocket credit for the rest of '04! As for Joe, he's got the crazy/zainy rocketeer look in his eye. His motto is "If it's out there, it's flying - hurricane or not." Yep, he's pretty much asking for it. At any rate, he's flown his 4-29SS on dual G40s twice now. Both times it's landed on target spots that you could NEVER hit twice in a row. ie - he nearly avoided a nearby forest when the rocket landed in someone's driveway. Today (Saturday) his rocket landed between the side of the highway and creek. He's due for a good rocket-god lynching. :D

Today was a good day. I suppose I'll go make a launch report now.

Originally posted by eugenefl
I think I've pretty much bought our club rocket-god rocket credit for the rest of '04! .
Yes, I cringe and feel sick when I hear about your badluck with the camera rockets and all:mad: I didn't know you were the designated club "badluck sink".:eek:
Oh well, if your not repairing or rebuilding, your not flyin.
Right now, I'm not doin much of either......:mad: :eek:

Originally posted by eugenefl
I suppose I'll go make a launch report now

Pardon my ignorance, but where would I find the launch report?
Also, is there a HERC website?

Originally posted by pdooley
Pardon my ignorance, but where would I find the launch report?
Also, is there a HERC website?

Hey there Pat.

Check out the "EVENTS" forum. There is a report there called "HERC 2/21 Tampa" or something to that effect.

Also, we're currently building a club website. Check out the temporary location at <a href="https://s97070775.onlinehome.us">HERC Rocketry</a>.

Back