CG of Estes Shadow?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grog

Reaction score
Can someone with a stock built Estes Shadow tell me the location of the CG? I am building mine as a four-engine cluster and will need to adjust accordingly. Thanks.

I just finished buiding an Optima, which is pretty much the same thing. The CG w/o the motor is 26.25" from the nose cone . With the motor it is 30.5". I did modify it to a an "E" engine but I don't think that that would make much difference. As for your 4 engine cluster, I'm not sure you actually need to worry about the CG. As long as the CG is ahead of the CP, you should be fine, you might need to add a little nose weight is all. I do the caveman theory of figuring out the CP: I figure it can't be much further than the top of the motor, so as long as my CG is ahead of where the top of the motor is when inserted into the rocket, I'm OK . I add nose weight as needed to move the CG ahead of the motor. Anyway, hope this helps.

Thanks for the feedback on the CG/CP. I have the kit pretty much completed, except for finishing. I need a bit of warmer weather here in Colorado before I can paint it (since I paint my rockets out doors). Here is a photo of the back end of my Shadow with the Flis Kits 24mm 4-engine cluster motor mount.

Sweet!! I too have a Shadow, but I haven't yet decided if I want to make it a 29 or 38mm . Don't forget to show completed and launch pictures.

Lookin good I had one years ago and after looking at that :( i miss it lol but any how good move on the cluster youll love it

Originally posted by kelltym88
Sweet!! I too have a Shadow, but I haven't yet decided if I want to make it a 29 or 38mm . Don't forget to show completed and launch pictures.

You read my mind! :D I'm building a HPR version of the Estes Shadow in 38MM right now. I stretched it 9 1/2" longer than stock to make dual deployment easier. It's basically done now, except for external fillets and paint.

Complete with altimeter but without harnesses and chute, (I don't have those for it yet) it weighs 25oz. Hopefully it will weigh no more than 35-40oz ready to fly.

I finally finished painting the Shadow. I launched it yesterday on four D12-5's for a great flight--straight launch and no damage upon recovery. I will try it on four E9's at the next launch.

By the way, I used a Flis Kits EMK4-24-80 motor mount in the Shadow. I used a Thrustline Aerospace 4-engine clip whip for the launch. Both vendors offer great products and service.

Below is a link to a page I just put up with some construction info and photos.

https://home.pcisys.net/~gelder/jan05/shadow.htm

I have attached the launch photo here. This photo was taken by Dave Virga.

Very nice lift off shot!!:) :) Glad to see everything worked out great.

Originally posted by arthur dent
Is the shadow OOP?? or is it a new kit??

The Shadow is OOP. This is the same as the Optima which became the Shadow (new decal and paint scheme). The Optima was produced from 1990-1994. The Shadow was made from 1994-1996.

I have posted plans for the Estes Shadow on my Website. All decals, fin template, and instructions are included. Look on the 'Filing Cabinet' page to download.

Joe,

I saw the "soon to come" upscale Orbital Transport on your web site. How big is the upscale and what's the current status? I like to see a photo of the finished product when you are done and know how it flies. Thanks.

Originally posted by grog
Joe,

I saw the "soon to come" upscale Orbital Transport on your web site. How big is the upscale and what's the current status? I like to see a photo of the finished product when you are done and know how it flies. Thanks.

It's a 2.6 (BT-80) upscale. You can see a few more constuction pics in this thread:

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=13883

I slacked off on the OT project to concentrate on finishing my 38MM Shadow, so it has not progressed much beyond the photo on my W/S. The Shadow will be finished by this weekend (just need to paint the booster) so I will get back to it then.

My goal is to have the OT ready by our first club launch of the year (sometime in mid-March) I will update the thread and Website once it's done.

Originally posted by asmqajm
I have posted plans for the Estes Shadow on my Website. All decals, fin template, and instructions are included. Look on the 'Filing Cabinet' page to download.

Nice website. Thanx for posting those plans. I might suggest making a parts list, as sometimes with the newer Estes plans they do not give specifics of the parts.

I noticed that JimZ's site has the plans for the Optima. Same kit as the Shadow, but with different decals.

Back