CG and CP which where how to figure on a Saturn V estes Rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OUCH! I would not say I'm hung up on it if you take in everything since my first flight 21 years ago, but I don't have time now to discuss it. Some of the items you mention did not originate with me but came up in forum discussions. You do have some valid and good points thou but its not like my world is stopping because of the Saturn V. It is a very unique and historic model and maybe does not mean much to you but it does to me and others. I agree with several items you point out in the book but I mention it because it's really the only area I have seen mentioned of CP/CG where someone is unaware of it or has had to deal with it in the past so it is mentioned in reference. Not everyone has rocksim or thrust curve and I don't think they were out in my early days of flying. As soon as I get a successful flight in the 50th Anny This thread will go silent. Thanks for your imput and comments and suggestions.

More after the first launch.
Sterk03

Back in '85, this kit weighed 16 oz., the limit at the time, flew on an Estes D and reached a nose-bleed altitude of almost 200', (that's two hundred feet). If I am not mistaken, it also came off a 24"-long, 5/16th-thick launch rod and barely had enough velocity to remain stable. Ejection was at 0 motor burn with 2 chutes, one for the cone and one for the rest of the airframe.
When assembling this old model we were very careful not to add any unnecessary mass.
Today, we are allowed much more than 16oz, wet, and so people are strengthening the model and thereby adding mass requiring more motor.
I've recently purchased 4 of the Saturn V Skylab version but haven't yet assembled them. As soon as I do, I'll post the CG and CPs.

Back