CF/Kevlar cloth. Anybody used this?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've used it. Make sure you cut it with Kevlar shears. It fuzzes up really bad if you try and send it just like Kevlar. If you decide to use it, PM me. I've got some tricks for sanding and edge finishing if you need.

I've used it. Make sure you cut it with Kevlar shears. It fuzzes up really bad if you try and send it just like Kevlar. If you decide to use it, PM me. I've got some tricks for sanding and edge finishing if you need.

I've used it too, though it's been a few years. Like Scott mentioned you definitely need Kevlar sheers. It lays down nice and will vacuum bag like normal carbon fiber. I've had good success vacuum bagging it and then using a wiped epoxy coat to smooth it out and shine the look up. The layer from the peel ply is thick enough to sand without sanding into the Kevlar. You need to be really careful because if you sand too far and it starts fuzzing is really hard to get a good finish.

The red and black looks totally awesome with the right gloss shine finish.

I have, really awesome material. Much lighter than just pure carbon. You get the best of both worlds in terms of strength and impact resistance.

Notes when making this material. Lay up the carbon kevlar fabric first. Let epoxy dry and then apply a very light, 3oz. For example, fiberglass layer. The last thing you want is to sand into the kevlar, because that stuff just fuzzies like crazy and it will ruin the look of the pattern.

Hope this helps

Alexander Solis - TRA Level 1 - Mariah 54 - CTI-I100 Red Lightning Longburn - 6,345 Feet

Back