cesaroni igniters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
I tried to figure this out, but the information available is conflicting.

What igniters is Cesaroni currently supplying with 38, 54, and 75mm motors? The yellow ones, they work great for me, but I cannot find any kind of specifications or replacements for them. Are they all the same, except that some are dipped and some not? What sort of voltage and current should they get?

The official web site mentions several brand names but no other description, or date when suppliers changed.

They are all low current type E-matches.

Even the ones used in large 54mm 6xl & up are still matches......just folded over & dipped in a fortifying pyrogen.
Here is a list of all smaller size motors that use the "dipped" low current match. These motors do NOT have a BP pellet pressed into the top grain, thus the need for the added pryo.
All 75 & 98 mm motors use them also.[dipped]

SO any low current match can be substituted for theirs with the pellet, & a standard high current [12v launch control] motor igniter can be used in all 75 & 98mm motors as well as those on the list below.

View attachment 279803

You are NOT supposed to use a standard motor igniter [12 volt] in any motor with a BP pellet.
You risk the chance of over-pressurizing the motor due to the ignition spike caused by the pellet AND igniter at the same time.

Last edited:
We use standard (JTEK) e-matches. At this moment there are 3 sizes, depending on the size of the throat. As explained by Jim some of them are over-dipped. If you have to substitute an e-match, make sure it fits through the nozzle easily. NEVER use an e-match that is too large for the throat and install it by threading the wires through the nozzle from the motor side.

We are transitioning to Firewire BATFE exempt igniters. These can be recognized by the white and blue wires. Electrical characteristics are the same. The augmented igniters were blessed by BATFE as well and will not require a LEUP either (loose or with a reload).

Jeroen

FWIW, our TARC team received some CTI motors with black igniters from our vendor a while back. Those did not seem as reliable as the yellow ones, which have been near-perfect. Reasons may include user error or inadequate launch controller batteries, so it's not necessarily a CTI issue.

We use standard (JTEK) e-matches. At this moment there are 3 sizes, depending on the size of the throat. As explained by Jim some of them are over-dipped. If you have to substitute an e-match, make sure it fits through the nozzle easily. NEVER use an e-match that is too large for the throat and install it by threading the wires through the nozzle from the motor side.

We are transitioning to Firewire BATFE exempt igniters. These can be recognized by the white and blue wires. Electrical characteristics are the same. The augmented igniters were blessed by BATFE as well and will not require a LEUP either (loose or with a reload).

I've couple of 24mm and 29mm CTI reloads that are missing igniters (don't ask). Does the above mean I can simply use https://electricmatch.com/rocketry/see/6/6/mjg-firewire-initiator as replacement? I've already box of those (for dual deployment charges). If I can also use them with CTI reloads, that would be awesome.

I did notice they look identical like igniters that come with some CTI reloads... But looking identical on the outside, and being identical are two different things :). So I guess it's always better to ask explicitly.

I've couple of 24mm and 29mm CTI reloads that are missing igniters (don't ask). Does the above mean I can simply use https://electricmatch.com/rocketry/see/6/6/mjg-firewire-initiator as replacement? I've already box of those (for dual deployment charges). If I can also use them with CTI reloads, that would be awesome.

I did notice they look identical like igniters that come with some CTI reloads... But looking identical on the outside, and being identical are two different things :). So I guess it's always better to ask explicitly.
I would say as long as the reload has the BP pellet you should be ok.

Yes any replacement-match can be used, as long as the head of match will easily fit through nozzle hole.

Back