cesaroni formula histories

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watermelonman

Reaction score
My understanding is that Cesaroni, pre AMW acquisition, had only classic and smokey SAM. Also that the smokey SAM was used for flight training exercises, that SAM truly meant surface to air missile.

Green, red, blue, skidmark came from AMW.

Is that all correct?

Where did cstar and imax come from?

What were the scalded and tame tigers? I am guessing scalded tiger became vmax.

Jim,

I think he is asking which formulas they became.

Blue Baboon = Blue Streak
Black Bear = Smokey Sam
Red Rhino = Red Lightning
White Wolf - CTI already had a white
Scalded Tiger ? Max but I think it predated the purchase
Tame Tiger ?
Green Gorilla - No longer made.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Chuck, yea my bad. Makes perfect sense. CTI still markets some AMW loads in there ProX line. Red Rhino, Blue Baboon, Black Bear and both Skalded and Tamed Tiger and White Wolf, in addition to Skidmark.. All for 54mm AMW hardware. These loads are very affordable compared to the pro54 line.

I'm fairly certain that cti color propellants are not the same as the amw formulas.

In other words, yes amw and cti merged, but amw kept making amw for a short time until Paul's decline in health. Cti colors did start around the same time but the both the names and compositions were/are different. Genuine Amw formulas are no longer being manufactured.

Eric

I'm fairly certain that cti color propellants are not the same as the amw formulas.

In other words, yes amw and cti merged, but amw kept making amw for a short time until Paul's decline in health. Cti colors did start around the same time but the both the names and compositions were/are different. Genuine Amw formulas are no longer being manufactured.

cwbullet said:
I am pretty sure there was some sort of deal to allow the use of some propellant formulas. I agree they are different.

Oh yes I definitely agree that the formulas are not quite the same. Apparently AMW skidmark was legendary, more potent than what we see in the Cesaroni version. There definitely was some sharing though, at least judging from what I have heard.

So we have consensus that vmax was equivalent to scalded tiger? I am still wondering what the tame tiger was. It does not sound tame enough to be mellow or otherwise truly long burning.

I have a 54mm ProX TT loaded. Might just have to burn it at Freedom Launch or MWP! I believe it's an L985.

Original skids were something to behold. Did my first L2 attempt on a K555SK.

It does not sound tame enough to be mellow or otherwise truly long burning.

I believe Mellow was a CTI developed formula. Mostly because there was a thread here a while back where they were talking about it being originally called mellow yellow, but in the process of slowing it down, they lost the flame and needed to drop the yellow. I am 100% willing to be corrected.

Smokey Sams are actually used here in Northern Nevada at Top Gun.

Pat

Chris, sounds right. BTW, I plan on burning my last 75mm AMW skid at Freedom Launch. K500 for the 2500 case. I still have several 54mm skids left.

Jim

I still got me 3 M2200 skids!! Saving em for special times...

Preston

Chris, sounds right. BTW, I plan on burning my last 75mm AMW skid at Freedom Launch. K500 for the 2500 case. I still have several 54mm skids left.

Back