Cesaroni Casing Blemishes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That does not look new. Looks like a used case that someone used tools on to remove from a rocket. Personally if I got that from a vendor, and it was sold as new, then I'd be requesting a refund and buying from someone else.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I’m really hoping the Vendor replaces it. I’m very bummed about it. It was a big purchase for me and I was waiting all week to get it. I don’t feel safe putting such powerful reloads in a case like that though.

From what I can see from your photos, I have several CTI casings with similar marks, that I bought brand new. The marks are quite common, particularly on Pro 54 casings. I believe they're caused by the manufacturing process (extrusion). I've flown the casings in the pictures below (one a 3G, the other a 4G) many times without problems. Careful inspection has sjown the marks have not changed or altered.
20210801_172938.jpg20210801_172813.jpg

I think all of my CTI casings have similar blemishes. I’ve never thought twice about them.

I think part of it may be the fact that they are loosely packaged in a plastic tube, free to rattle around during shipping. I also agree that some are from manufacturing.

I feel CTI just has a different philosophy about their hardware. Aerotech and Loki go through a lot of effort to make really nice looking cases. CTI not so much. I’m sure they’re more affordable for it.

Last edited:
Looks like a used case or an old one. New CTI case are a much darker color. The blemishes look like a close to burn through.

My CTI casings also have similar scratches and blemishes. my Pro24 6G, pro75 and pro98 6Gxl... same goes for the for and aft closures.

I would pay extra for added protection for shipping...

From what I can see from your photos, I have several CTI casings with similar marks, that I bought brand new. The marks are quite common, particularly on Pro 54 casings. I believe they're caused by the manufacturing process (extrusion). I've flown the casings in the pictures below (one a 3G, the other a 4G) many times without problems. Careful inspection has sjown the marks have not changed or altered.
View attachment 475271View attachment 475270

Tim, thanks for the reply. If you look at the last photo I posted mine were really deep. It almost looks like it’s starting a run-off crack.

However, I don’t think CTI’s QC would have passed this if they saw the one mark. It’s pretty deep.
I wish we could say that CTI's QC performance in general the past few years has been great, but I don't think we can.

It's hard to tell from the photos, but I suspect these are largely cosmetic. That said, certainly see what your vendor says and post the results.

Tim, thanks for the reply. If you look at the last photo I posted mine were really deep. It almost looks like it’s starting a run-off crack.
Fair enough. Hard to tell depth from a photo. Cesaroni state that fliers should check their casings on receiving them, and that's what you're doing here. As @mikec said, now is the time to talk the issue with your vendor.

I agree that these are marks from the manufacturing process, not handling or it being a used case. I have several pieces of CTI hardware with similar marks that I purchased new, and they have worked so far.

I haven't seen them on newer Loki hardware, but I have some similar marks on my (light blue) 38/480 that I bought back in 2014. They are clearly from manufacturing because they are still anodized like the rest of the case, while if they had been created by improper handling they would have been bare aluminum.

Can't hurt to contact CTI, but I bet they are fine!

I am the seller of this case and I am in contact with the poster.

As many have mentioned, the rings are normal and are part of the extrusion process when the case is made.

As for the blemish, I have passed it on to CTI for review. However the person responsible for warranty is on holidays this week and this may take a few days to clear up

Back