Certing IS a "Special Event"!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandman

Reaction score
Ya know certifying Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 are very special events for any "Rocketeer"

I know it is a relatively new thing, "certifying", less than 20 years old, but why aren't there any...you know..."traditions" associated with it?

As an example, when I made my first solo flight (yep I have a private pilots licence) my instructor "turned me loose" walked back to the airport lounge and called all my flying buddies to be present when I landed. See, in order to qualify for your official "solo" you must make 3 take-offs and landings. So my instructor had plenty of time to contact people.

Well, when you finally park the plane and come back to the lounge with an "I just ate the cat" grin on your face all your flying buddies jump you...pull your shirt tail out...cut it off... and pin your cut off shirtail on the wall!

This is called "trimming your tail feathers".

What can we do to somebody when they cert?

sandman

ahhhh hazing. good times, I cant think of anything though

It's tradition to buy a case of beer for everyone at the DZ when you make your first (non-tandem) skydive, or any other "milestone" type event (first reserve ride, getting your "A","B", etc. License, etc.). For every reserve ride it's also tradition to buy the guy/gal that packed your reserve a bottle of liquor. Pretty cheap compensation, I'd say.

I think the case of beer thing might work for HPR.

And while this belongs in the Contests section, NCR has a Beer Boost. Costs 5 cans to enter (a six-pack minus the one you launch) , the winner (Duration of the sixth, 12oz. beer (or root beer), on 640 Newtons or less) takes it all home....

-bill

Originally posted by wyldbill
It's tradition to buy a case of beer for everyone at the DZ...
Make that "one case of beer, shared by everyone at the DZ" ;)

Hey Sandman, You a pilot too? The first solo is something you never forget. I remember taking off and looking over at the empty seat beside me. It then hit me that I HAD to get this thing back on the ground all by myself. It was great though!!!:D :D :D :D I never got my shirt tail cut off or anything like that .The big bicycle ride across Iowa(RAGBRI) was coming into town and was going to use the airport as a camp ground. The intructor was busy keeping people from driving out to the runway. They sure got out of the way when I taxied back to the hanger:)Small town, small airport.

As far as for a cert flight,hum... it would be nice to have something special for that, but what?

Larry

Originally posted by sandman
Well, when you finally park the plane and come back to the lounge with an "I just ate the cat" grin on your face all your flying buddies jump you...pull your shirt tail out...cut it off... and pin your cut off shirtail on the wall!
sandman

Don't forget the part about getting doused with water. :D

I'm waiting to certify L1 as soon as we get a good launch day, and can honestly say I'm looking forward to it with nearly as much anticipation as my first solo.

The newly certed person buys everyone a reload of that cert level, cause he can:kill: Er, the other way around:D

How about....everyone that certs must shag rockets for the rest of the day.

It has to be something "humbling".

sandman

Well, if right after my L1 flight someone goes and puts up a Big Nuke on an M1315 or something like that, my puny little H128 will seem pretty humble...I'll settle for that.:D

Hey guys...keep thinkin'...my cert's comin' up in March or April!!

Been following this thread all evening.. and i'm still thinking but i like the idea...just can't think of anything.. :mad: :mad:

OK, I got it after the cert, you cut the guys shroud lines:D Talk about an introduction to the high costs of High Power!:D

WOW....LOL

I just ordered a new Rocketman R7C for my level 2 bird.. i'm thinkin if you cut the shroud lines on that we might have words.... :D

Wait a second.. I think I like it.. heh heh

Originally posted by n3tjm
Lets see... .treat the new recruits to high power to Chinese Dinner :D.

oh man, even better! A "High Power Chinese Dinner"!

Lots of hot mustard and General Gao's chicken with *lots* of extra peppers....

and hide the water!

:D :D

The goal is to bring the new recruit himself up to the *power* he certed at. Wonder how many of those peppers would get someone to *I* power... :D

Originally posted by jflis
The goal is to bring the new recruit himself up to the *power* he certed at. Wonder how many of those peppers would get someone to *I* power... :D

Not to mention "M" power...EEK!

Jason

POST # 600!

Hmm...I think Jim is on to something! There is a direct correlation between fire and peppers. Nice call!

Well, to add to the smoke, flame, and heat theme, maybe we can have people walk hot coals. The bigger the cert, the longer the length of hot coals! LOL! Ouch! :eek: NAR/TRA insurance may not go for that.

Er, how about the newly certed member has to discard the ashes of the freshly burnt reload down the shorts! Oh, even more ouch!
:eek:

Originally posted by sandman
Ya know certifying Level 1, Level 2 and Level 3 are very special events for any "Rocketeer"

What can we do to somebody when they cert?

There's already a ceremony in place for those who cert. It's called "The Depleting of the Bank Account". The newly certified individual spends ever-increasing amounts on money on motors and rockets for his new cert level and (where applicable) in preparation for the next cert level.

This ceremony is often accompanied by another traditional activity known as "The Making of Excuses to the Spouse".

:)

He has to launch it 5 more times on succesively bigger motors. High power, high cost.

You could present the new cert with a t-shirt that has a picture of Wile-E Coyote with an ACME rocket strapped to his back flying through the air chasing the road runner.... or better yet, you could present them with an iron on decal with that illustration and iron it on while they're still wearing the shirt!:eek:

Back