Certifying L1 and L2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nukemmcssret

Reaction score
Is it possible to build a rocket for L1 and L2 certification without using fiberglass? At the annual club meeting they were asking for LCOs to volunteer. I said I would but I was told you have to be certified L2 to run the launch control panel. Well I am very allergic to fiberglass and cannot and do not want to be around it. So how do I certify these levels? Can someone else build the rocket? Can I borrow one? I was told I can buy the motor if I tell them I am trying to certify. Any help or answers would be appreciated. Thanks Chief :)

You have to build your own certification rocket.

And fiberglass is never "necessary" - yu can do all three levels without touching fiberglass.

-Kevin

You should be fine flying a non-fiberglass rocket. Take a look at LOC or PML kits, they have some great cardboard/phenolic kits. You only need fiberglass tubes or fiberglass reinforcements if you are going to launch transonic/super sonic (over Mach 0.8). 3-4" diameter kits are good for the H-J range of motors, and won't go to high. If you want to L1/L2 with the same rocket, 4" is probably better, but thats just my opinion. I saw you were in Deltona, do you fly with NEFAR?

Why rush to get a L2? I see so many people going as fast as they can to get L3 certified. Get a L1, play around with L1 rockets for a while, learn the basics and get comfortable. Once you are ready, get an L2.

oh, yeah and a good rocket for a L1/L2 is a LOC Warlock, or really just any rocket with a long 38mm MMT
Sorry if this post is insulting or offending for any reason.

Last edited:
Trying one of mine!
No glass to be found, easy to build and Totally BaddAzz!!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Is it possible to build a rocket for L1 and L2 certification without using fiberglass? At the annual club meeting they were asking for LCOs to volunteer. I said I would but I was told you have to be certified L2 to run the launch control panel. Well I am very allergic to fiberglass and cannot and do not want to be around it. So how do I certify these levels? Can someone else build the rocket? Can I borrow one? I was told I can buy the motor if I tell them I am trying to certify. Any help or answers would be appreciated. Thanks Chief :)

Just a quick question for you, are you allergic to the fiberglass itsself, or the epoxy used to lamanate the glass?

Just a quick question for you, are you allergic to the fiberglass itsself, or the epoxy used to lamanate the glass?

Fiberglass is the allergin. Epoxy or resin I can handle it is the fibers I rather my body hates them LOL.

Well it looks like I can do the Certs. Awsome I sais I would not Certify but that was then, :D. I will still have to toy with this idea. The coffers are slim right now so it will come hopefully before the year is over.

Well it looks like I can do the Certs. Awsome I sais I would not Certify but that was then, :D. I will still have to toy with this idea. The coffers are slim right now so it will come hopefully before the year is over.

I usually never recommend certing L1 & L2 on the same rocket. When you're done, you have a big L1 rocket or a small L2 rocket, but in most cases, it's not very good for both.

In your case, you are looking for the cert so you can do more within the club. That is great, but part of the reason those positions require the certifications is because they demand a minimum amount of knowledge. Getting your L1 & L2 on the same rocket is doable, but I think you're shorting yourself on the amount of knowledge you can get from going through both cert processes and building a new rocket for each. Nothing teaches like experience.

You should be fine flying a non-fiberglass rocket. Take a look at LOC or PML kits, they have some great cardboard/phenolic kits. You only need fiberglass tubes or fiberglass reinforcements if you are going to launch transonic/super sonic (over Mach 0.8). 3-4" diameter kits are good for the H-J range of motors, and won't go to high. If you want to L1/L2 with the same rocket, 4" is probably better, but thats just my opinion. I saw you were in Deltona, do you fly with NEFAR?

Why yes I do. I am all low power rockets now. I just see there are not very many people in the club being the LSO. I want to be able to run the launch board. I have a paralyzed left leg and do not see me chasing any big A@@#@ Rockets very far LOL. :D:D:D I just really want to Certify so I can be useful to the club.

I usually never recommend certing L1 & L2 on the same rocket. When you're done, you have a big L1 rocket or a small L2 rocket, but in most cases, it's not very good for both.

In your case, you are looking for the cert so you can do more within the club. That is great, but part of the reason those positions require the certifications is because they demand a minimum amount of knowledge. Getting your L1 & L2 on the same rocket is doable, but I think you're shorting yourself on the amount of knowledge you can get from going through both cert processes and building a new rocket for each. Nothing teaches like experience.

Thanks for the advice. Like I stated earlier, unless I get a crew to fetch my rockets, I will not be flying many Big L1 or L2 rockets. I am just trying to help out the easiest way possible :D

Get yourself a perfectflite stratologger and do some dual deploy! Set the mains low say 300 feet (or 200 if you're brave) and don't use a drogue....no long walks!

Back