Centuri - X-24 Bug

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The steam punk version posted above, is that built with the internals of the X-24 but with the fin setup of the HL-20?
I think it's supposed to be a replacement skin for the HL-20. Might work with the X24. Haven't tried it yet. Try a printout and see if the HL-20 and X24 skins match up.

Reading Larry Brown's letter, the fins are superfluous! Flies better without.

He did mention the plastic nose being heavier being a good thing. My latest adaption simply extends to outer cone to a point to make the nose cone so maybe that's too much of a short cut?

After reexamining this thread. I seem to remember that the original Centauri kit had a balsa nose cone on it. I think that a new nose cone could be made that would fit better and look a bit more streamlined and be a lot easier to make.
The second thing I have been thinking about is making a booster using 2 x Ds that I'd be able to base on the re-issue of the old Revell 1950s "Space Shuttle 1st stage. I'll have to add a third fin to is as well an make an adapter

I do appreciate the info on the square piece, Thank You!

The second thing I have been thinking about is making a booster using 2 x Ds that I'd be able to base on the re-issue of the old Revell 1950s "Space Shuttle 1st stage. I'll have to add a third fin to is as well an make an adapter
I remember seeing an old newsletter with a picture (actually drawing) of an X24 at the top of a space booster, either a Gemini Titan or a Sat V. I'll see if I can find it.

Hi Vitruvius, yes I'm from Southern IL. I was born and raised in Carbondale IL. I didn't create the steampunk version but I did do the X-15 version. The square piece is placed on the bottom of the body where the glue tab is located. The fold-down sides are glued to the white areas on each side near the back of the main glue tab. Hope I have made this understandable.
I used to go to S.I.U. E. but Mom and Dad took used to take us down to Carbondale as they had a super neat park with a equally cool playground. That was way back in the early 1960's. I was about 8 when We first went down there. Later We'd pass through on our way to Fort Massic State Park for camping ( Before they rebuilt the fort) and visiting Metropolis ( Before the Superman schtick started). I love the X-15 version! Thanks again. Cheers!

The steampunk print is for the Quest HL-20, which is almost identical to the Centuri X24 except for the underbody scoop. I think that is what you are referring to. Or maybe it's the penny ballast holder that is glued inside the scoop.
Anyway, here are the plans:
que2008.pdf (rocketshoppe.com)
And a couple of pics:

That was a really fun kit, but I did have to ask on this very forum how much a penny weighs...

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/quest-hl-20-cg-and-cp.100336/

I took a scorched HL-20 (the motor was mis-aligned so one side of the paper got blisters), tore the wings off to see how well it flies. It flies very well

Too long of a delay on the injection charge to really know. I tossed it afterwards as it was truly spent!

Will have to build mine because my X 30 needs a buddy! Always preface the launch by saying they are one of the worst kits ever made. That said I like to use composite motors to exacerbate the poor flying characteristics. Always a crowd pleaser.

Well, I launched her on another flight a few weeks ago. It was on a Quest BP motor.
The edges of the shroud were burned badly, as were two fins.
I knew something was wrong when it came down in a flat spin.
The clay weight got burned off.
It was then that I vowed to rebuild her.
Better, faster, stronger.
Voila!
1106211844[1].jpg

Salvaged the nose cone, motor tube and balsa former. Just had to print the shell, fins and canopy.
And glue some clay to the bottom.
The former was also charred, but usable. I'm going to paint the interior with high heat paint. Hopefully it will last a little longer.
1106211845[1].jpg
The good news is it only cost me a few cents (paper, ink and clay) to rebuild her.

I wonder about an upscale with an ejectable motor mount with streamer?
Please make it so!
PS - they might not last long due to the heat damage from the engine. A little high-temp BBQ paint inside the cone might help it last a few more launches.
I'm thinking the deeply recessed motor mount is a contributing factor.
It seemed fine after the Estes motor flight though.
I'm wondering if the Quest motor was a factor?

Please make it so!

I'm thinking the deeply recessed motor mount is a contributing factor.
It seemed fine after the Estes motor flight though.
I'm wondering if the Quest motor was a factor?
those might run a bit hotter. It may help to add a couple of small vent holes, all the engine heat has no where to go, but like a vented gap-stager, maybe a hole punched just behind the bulkhead will allow some cooler air to get in there and mix with the exhaust? Just punch a hole near the scorch marks to the outside of the rocket and see if the next one lasts longer.

Well, I launched her on another flight a few weeks ago. It was on a Quest BP motor.
The edges of the shroud were burned badly, as were two fins.
I knew something was wrong when it came down in a flat spin.
The clay weight got burned off…
My original from the early 70s was my favorite rocket - flew it many, many times on whatever motor the hobby shop or 5&10 had on sale - until it caught fire and crashed as a smoldering lump! 9 year old me thought it was awesome! My Squirrel Works repro simply refuses to glide (or at least it refuses to fall with style like an X-24 should). An upscale would be an interesting experiment.

I think it does if you don't elevate it off the pad with a stand off.
See Malbar's post #4.
From what I understand, any motor recessed any further than one body tube diameter into the rocket will be subject to the Krushnic Effect (unless it's vented in some way, like Centuri's Point). The X24's motor is recessed way more than that.

I think what Malabar might have been referring to is actually "Bernoulli Lock", where the rocket gets glued to the pad if not elevated above a flat blast deflector. Similar but not the same. Which still leaves me with the mystery of why the X24 doesn't seem to be affected by the deep motor recess.

Kiririn, I had one of the X-24 rockets and I only used the Estes motors for all of my flights...except 1. That was a Centauri engine! Even with the X-24 held up above the blast deflector by a thick wrap of masking tape, the Rocket blew apart before reaching it's apogee!!!!! When I build one again, I'm sticking strictly with Estes.

BTW, does anyone know where I can get the vac-formed canopy for the HL-10 kit, please? Otherwise, I'll guesstimate the dimensions and make my own vac-form copy. Thanks!

Back