Centuri Tiger Streak

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenP

Reaction score
A 13mm downscale of the classic Centuri two-stager, a page from the 1983 Centuri catalog:
http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri83/83cen4.html

printed sheets:
CD49BBD4-DE42-4743-A0F5-814516E8B51E.jpeg

cut out parts:
96422704-FB08-4908-8B27-D7007F14E7B0.jpeg

rough cut fins are folded over a three-ply core, so total thickness will be 5-ply. Middle ply is rotated 90-deg, others are on the long edge of the paper, I will cut to size after glue is dry, and then cut the nesting fins apart for the booster and sustainer.
1A132F84-A853-4000-A203-BBCF364879C3.jpeg

UPDATE: re-posted PDF with the fins fixed so the tiger facing the same direction on all 3.

Attachments

• CenturiTigerStreak5357_13mm.pdf
    213.3 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Rolled booster and sustainer tubes and cut the fins. I goofed on the one mirror image fin, that should not have been mirrored, oh well. One side will have two tiger heads showing and one side will have none.

050F15AB-4FFA-46CF-B937-8C5547DEA0A1.jpeg

I save the nose cone for last, that is the most time consuming part.

Neat, Glen!

Having just built the Estes counterpart recently (Apache-2) and finding out that it's a nice flyer, I'm sure this one will be nice as well.

Thanks!

http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/estes83/83est28.htmlSeems like these both appeared in their respective catalogs in 1983.
You're welcome.

Per the discussion over on YORF, the two kits—Apache-2 and Tiger Streak—were identical save for the livery suggested and the decals. They were made with Estes parts. In particular the nose cone they used is the blow-molded PNC-50KA of the pre-1992 shape (the shape much more like the original BNC-50K than the nose cone with the same part number that's in use since 1992).

From the picture at the link from TigerHawk I'd say that the more rockets repro is using the current PNC-50KA nose cone, for whatever that's worth.

(Sorry for the digression....I've been working on the history of the Alpha configuration, which is where all this nose cone business comes in—it's just that the Apache-2 used the same one as the ~1983-1989 Alphas.)

This is like the Sterling Silver/Epic II twins that were available recently - one in general release from Estes, one at Hobby Lobby as an "exclusive". All the parts are the same, but the suggested livery and decals supplied differ.

Last edited:
Since I am a recovering BAR, here are the recovery parts, about two body lengths of Kevlar on a sheet bend knot to one body length of elastic string, teabagged into the nose and body. A small lump of clay fills about half of the nose and a small patch of cardstock is glued to the Kevlar at the open end of the tube for anti-zipper protection. I touched up the white edges of the fins with appropriate color Sharpies.

Mind sim is about out of sight, so the Mylar streamer reflects light well in the air and on the ground and makes some fairly audible noise on the way down too. Final touch will be two clear coats glossy.

1EC3A5F8-9C20-4F54-A1E4-B740671137BA.jpeg

Last edited:
If anyone wants to build a 13mm min dia Apache 2, here is a template for it. I won't build this one myself, but if you are interested, then jump on it, Kemosabe!

Screen Shot 2021-08-23 at 7.17.47 PM.png

Attachments

• Apache2_1388.pdf
    177 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
The paper really soaks up the clear coat, you can’t rush it. After one coat it still looks bone dry. It probably takes more than two coats, but that is all I have patience for. It does help lock in the colors and blends away some of the ink jet printer artifacts in the solid black regions. I probably should have made the lug black to match instead of the contrasting orange. You can see the body tube seam is not perfect, I try to stagger the seams in the nose, those always come out slightly crooked. I do really like the nested booster/sustainer fins on this one, they turned out pretty decent.

5FACE316-22C1-4A1F-934B-7A4444587E81.jpeg

Back