Centuri The Bug and Achilles builds

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, these were fun builds, and a trip down memory lane. I think I will leave them as is for now, until I have some empty space on my next decal sheet at least. The transitions are actually orange, so with the green bands they kind of resemble the colors of the flag of Ireland.

If I ever make a transition/payload rocket with a larger dia nose than the fin can, then I would have to put the lug on a standoff on the body, that would be a good place to use the Mexican logo, so it would be a Mexican standoff...

Next, I am taking this thread to CUBA!
(Apologies for the hijack/necro posts.)

Thanks, these were fun builds, and a trip down memory lane. I think I will leave them as is for now, until I have some empty space on my next decal sheet at least. The transitions are actually orange, so with the green bands they kind of resemble the colors of the flag of Ireland.
Ah. And Ireland doesn't seem to have a space agency of its own.
If I ever make a transition/payload rocket with a larger dia nose than the fin can, then I would have to put the lug on a standoff on the body, that would be a good place to use the Mexican logo, so it would be a Mexican standoff...
Ugh! Pun of the day award.
Next, I am taking this thread to CUBA!
Ever heard the one about the hijacker who walks into the cockpit of a South America bound airplane with a gun (this was in the '70s, after all) and demands "Take this plane to Cube!"

The pilot calmly turns the plane a few degrees off of it's planned route. The highjacker says "Didn't you here me? Take me to Cuba!"

The pilot says "I heard you. Keep your shirt on," and just keeps flying.

After about 20 minutes the highjacker, getting rather nervous, yells "CUBA! Take me to Cuba!!" At this, the navigator reaches up and pulls a lever on the cockpit's ceiling. A trap door opens under the highjacker, who falls through and out of the plane.

The navigator looks over from his chair through the hole and says "I think that was Cuba."

after first masking of just the transitions, kind of inspired by the Estes Argent, but going to keep it simple, still working on some ideas for this one...not sure if I even want to try to mask off the boat-tail, but might look cool...

CLOUD BUSTER!

View attachment 381561
Gotta' make me a Cloud Buster! I need to look at the Centuri tubes used and find the Estes standard tubes that are closest to
those sizes...

Let's see:

Centuri ST-13: Closest Estes: BT-56! Those are out of stock everywhere. Ok, next closest... BT-55.

Centuri ST-8: Closest Estes: BT-50 (bigger).

Centuri ST-5: Same as Estes BT-5.

Last edited:
Last I looked, erockets sold centuri sized body tubes.
Sold out. :-(

Yes, they have the Semroc branded Centuri size tubes, but all of the tubes I need are out of stock.

It’s Ok. I can get fairly close with the Estes sized tubes, which are plentiful in my inventory.

The top spire that be is the same size as a BT-5.

Sold out. :-(

Yes, they have the Semroc branded Centuri size tubes, but all of the tubes I need are out of stock.

It’s Ok. I can get fairly close with the Estes sized tubes, which are plentiful in my inventory.

The top spire that be is the same size as a BT-5.
I don't worry about getting a design like this perfect. If I have a good photograph I can take it into autocad, trace over it, and scale it to any size. Earlier this year I scaled both the Aerobee-Hi and the 1969 Centuri AeroDart up to BT60 size and built them. That Achilles design looks interesting, maybe I can scale it up to BT55 or BT60.

My old image is no longer available for some reason in the prior post, so I will re-post it here. My inspiration, and tracing of the pick axe, from Yukon Cornelius:

Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 9.39.57 PM.png

Also, inspired by the Centuri Excalibur logo where the sword is also the letter X, just a variation on that theme.
Screen Shot 2022-06-15 at 9.44.25 PM.png

Back