Centuri The Bug and Achilles builds

Discussion in 'Low Power Rocketry (LPR)' started by SCIGS30, Oct 21, 2014.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Oct 21, 2014 #1

SCIGS30

SCIGS30

SCIGS30

Looking through my old Centuri Designers manual I found 4 cool looking rockets to build. Since I have some unclaimed Centuri parts and thanks to Semroc, I am able to build these rockets. The Bug is small and I will have to figure out something for the shorty motor. The Achilles is called Pseudo scale and does look pretty cool, recovers with a streamer. I have all the parts for the Pay Dirt rocket and the Cloud Buster. Hope to start painting both of these tomorrow.

DSC_0512 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0516 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0517 (1024x681).jpg

DSC_0518 (1024x681).jpg

2. Oct 23, 2014 #2

Blades

Blades

Blades

I remember that design manual, my copy is now lost to the mists of time. Some nice patterns in there. It wouldn't be quite stock, but it appears there's room for a 13 mm mount in the Bug. You could probably make it rear ejection with a streamer and increase your chances of getting the little bugger back.

3. Nov 2, 2014 #3

SCIGS30

SCIGS30

SCIGS30

I did not have any references to go by for painting these rockets so I just threw some paint on them. Once again I used Rustoleum Rust Stop and everything came out just fine, no primer.

4. Apr 25, 2016 #4

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

DSC_6529.jpg

DSC_6530.jpg

DSC_6533.jpg

Those are cool builds. I just got the SEMROC parts from eRockets to build a Pay Dirt. I papered the fins with cardstock. Not sure on a paint scheme yet. I might look at some vintage Centuri catalogs for payload rockets for inspiration. My engine hook sticks out just a tad bit too far, so that the rocket does not rest on all four fins, it will lean slightly on two fins and the protruding engine hook, I could have planned that better.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  5. Apr 25, 2016 #5

MALBAR 70

MALBAR 70

MALBAR 70

If you wanted to keep the Bug stock, you could always take a spent 18mm motor and cut it to the length of a 13mm motor. Then friction fit the 13mm inside the cut down 18mm case. I've done this on a Semroc Sprite after I lost the sleeves that came with the kit.

6. Apr 27, 2016 #6

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

The Pay Dirt is somewhat reminiscent of the Payloader II:
    http://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/catalogs/centuri65/65cen10.html
    so I thought of making a logo for it in that style, still working on a decal sheet with a similar roll pattern as the Payloader II.

Picture 4.png

the pick-axe was inspired by Yukon Cornelius
    [​IMG]

and I was able to print up a sheet of Testor's 5.5x8.5 decal paper with the Pay Dirt logo and a Payloader-like roll pattern as well as for my Excalibur, which uses the X to represent the sword, which also inspired the T as a pick-axe for Pay Dirt, which is what you want to hit when you are using a pick-axe, right? The unique fin shape also somewhat resembles the curves and point of a pick-axe, or something along that vein. :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  7. Apr 28, 2016 #7

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

The Testors waterslide inkjet paper worked pretty well, just let the ink dry then lightly spray with some clear coat a few coats.

DSC_6534.jpg

DSC_6536.jpg

I tried to capture the vibe from other payload carrier rockets in the back catalog, drawing mainly from the Payloader II. I noticed that many of those had cool names in unique typography in the catalog, but the face-card and catalog picture did not have the name printed on a decal on the rocket itself. I am wondering when that trend started.

8. Mar 20, 2019 #8

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

I built an Achilles with a 13mm mount, finally working on some artwork for decals, kind of inspired by the Colossus.
    Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 7.57.53 PM.png

for one of the fins:
    Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 7.58.06 PM.png

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  9. Mar 21, 2019 #9

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

an idea I had for the Cloud Buster...

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 8.28.22 PM.png

10. Mar 23, 2019 #10

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

another logo concept, I plan to print it in black and put on a yellow painted background, so it would look like this:
    Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 9.03.15 PM.png
    apologies to the Estes Mosquito (mini brute) and the Centuri Firefly.

The bottom of Achilles would be painted yellow with the chain as a separator, and will have one red fin, that's the heel. Again, apologies to the Estes Colossus.

Screen Shot 2019-03-22 at 9.22.58 PM.png

still doing some sanding and painting of these, then will print up my decal sheet.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  11. Mar 23, 2019 #11

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

Here's a printable sheet of my artwork for decals for the whole collection of the Centuri Design Manual plans. I am in the final painting stages for the Achilles, Bug, and Cloudbuster. Will post some pictures when I get these fully decorated.

Attached Files:

12. Mar 24, 2019 #12

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

Only 169 Motors...

What is your best recommendation for media to print decals (waterslide type) in general? Which brands have you tried? I am planning on purchasing a color laser printer soon.

13. Mar 24, 2019 #13

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

I usually get the Testors brand ink jet printer paper from my local hobby store, kind of hit or miss if they have it on the shelf at the craft stores. But you might find the full 8.5”x11” sheets from your favorite South American river on line in larger quantities for cheaper unit cost. They have clear and white background varieties. I clear coat it with glossy clear UV protective Krylon a few light coats after printing. Laser printers might require a different type of paper, not sure if the same ink jet paper works in a laser printer.

PS - I use InkScape software for creating the artwork or retracing old decal scans that might not be good quality.
    https://inkscape.org/

14. Mar 24, 2019 #14

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

Who you gonna call? CLOUDBUSTER...
    DSC_8359.jpg

This little insect features a rear-eject 13mm motor mount. Not very much room for a streamer, but will try to get one in there. I did not really try to fill the seam between the body and nose very well, but the decal will probably cover that up.
    DSC_8360.jpg

Last edited: Mar 24, 2019
  15. Mar 24, 2019 #15

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

beeblebrox

Only 169 Motors...

Ok, I was planning on using the laserjet type as it does not require clear coating. Definately interested in the inkscape...

16. Mar 24, 2019 #16

neil_w

neil_w

neil_w

Fiddly bits enthusiast TRF Supporter

Based on my experiences with inkjet paper, choosing laser printing seems like a good idea. :)

I've been using the Experts Choice decal paper from Bare Metal Foil and have been pleased with it. The problems I've had are inherent to inkjet decals. When I switch over to laser decals I'll probably stay with that brand to get started.

17. Mar 27, 2019 #17

jqavins

jqavins

jqavins

Joseph Avins

Old trick, but in case it's new to you: glue a spend motor to a two or three inch square of cardboard to make a cheap and dirty stand. I have lots of these that I consider disposable; they're good for sitting rockets on the shelf if they don't stand straight, and they're also good for painting, after which if they're to covered in paint you just throw'm away and make more. (Spent motors. Is there anything they can't do? Well, other than propel a rocket.)

18. Mar 31, 2019 #18

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

DSC_8365.jpg

JERRYR708 likes this.
  19. Apr 10, 2019 #19

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

DSC_8374.jpg
    Spring time in the rocket garden. Achilles, in progress.

20. Apr 11, 2019 #20

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

DSC_8375.jpg

decided to keep the fin can yellow and not paint one fin red, just might have been too busy. Again my engine hook prevents this from resting on the four fins, so a 13mm display stand is required for the shelf. Yeah, I am getting a lot of use from that same color yellow on finishing up these builds.

JERRYR708 likes this.
  21. Apr 11, 2019 #21

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

The Spartan was some clip art I found online in B&w outline, I just added some fill color. Was really hard to find just the right one, some were more cartoonish than others, but just before I resorted to drawing my own, I found that one which seemed to fit what I was looking for. The name was done in Word Art rather then Inkscape. My chain length was adjusted after my test print on paper and the decal wrapped around to perfectly match at the seam, I can’t even find the seam now. Borrowed heavily from the Estes Colossus, obviously.

22. Apr 11, 2019 #22

GlenP

GlenP

GlenP

I printed these up on the sheet with the others, but have already built one of these, so this one is extra. If anyone wants to build their own Pay Dirt and put these waterslide decals on it, first PM with an address (USA only), and I will put these in an envelope and mail them. Already clear coated and ready to apply. Just promise to post a picture of your build when finished.
    DSC_8376.jpg