Centuri Taurus Decal Scan?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laseradam

Reaction score
I am working on a clone of the Centuri Taurus. What i need is a clean scan of the decal sheet. The one at Jim z's is not really sharp. The Taurus was my most prized rocket as a kid and I would like it to turn out perfect. I made a list of every rocket I had as a kid and my plan is to clone every one of them.

I became a BAR last year and have gone crazy with cloneing. I plan on posting pictures some day soon.

Talk to our own Astronboy here on TRF - he should be able to hook you up with some decals!!!

Jason

Yes, go to the Excelsior Rockets website or PM Astronboy; he should be able to clean up JimZ's scan. He does beautiful work, as many of us here can tell you.
Please post pictures of your Taurus. It was also one of my favorites as a kid. I've been waiting for Mike Jerauld at Blast From the Past Rockets to come out with his kit of it.
Are you using the kit version of the pod cones or the longer, catalog picture version?
Drew Tomko

I got all the tubes from Semroc. I purchased enough tubes to make two Taurus'. One will be made with the cones from Moldin Oldies, his pod cones are rounded.

The second copy will be like my original which I still have. It's pod cones will be pointed. I plan to use balsa cones from Semroc which I have all ready purchased.

I have been getting my skills up to par with other projects before I do the Taurus. I am working on an orbital transport right now. My painting skills are coming along. I have experimented with paper laminating fins, printing decals, fill and finish and Futura. Now I think I am ready to do the Taurus.

You probably have a rare original kit with the pointed pod cones (PNC-54s). Most have the blunt ones (PNC-51s). Incidentally, the PNC-54 was listed in the Centuri catalog as being 2.2" long, shoulder to tip. That seems a bit long to me looking at the catalog pics of the Taurus. Would you mind measuring the pod cones on your original kit?
Much obliged,
DT

Sure I will try to remember to measure them again tonight. I do think my original with the pointed pod cones look better than the rounded cones, but that is probably because that is what I have been use to looking at for almost 30 years.

When I moved away from home I told my dad that he could give away all my rockets but he couldn't bear to give the Taurus away. I am very thankful he didn't.

I measured the pod cones on my original Taurus. They are in fact 2.2 inches.

Thanks! That makes things easier. I believe Mike Schmidt also has these at Moldin' Oldies.
DT

Well I started on my Taurus Clone. I have a plan to clone every rocket I had as a kid. The Centuri Taurus was my favorite. Here is a picture of the clone next to my 30 year old original. I also cleaned up the decal scan I got from Jim z's and I will be sending it to him if any one here needs it.
Adam

The clone looks great. How tough was it to build? I always figured it would be a terror.
Since you're from Goshen, can I assume that you fly at the VOA with the Quark section? I hope so. I'd like the opportunity to see one of these fly.

So far it has has not been a very hard build. Much easier than something like an Orbital Transport. I got the nose cones and transitions from Moldin' Oldies. The tubes and moter mount came from Semroc and the balsa from Hobby Lobby. Plans came from Jimz'

I had to sand the transitions to get them to fit the tubes. I cut the tubes to length by hand, wicked superglue in the ends then sanded them flat. I also cleaned up the decal scan from Jimz's.

I want to do the catalog paint colors so I am still thinking about the best way and order to do it. Painting will be the hardest part by far.

My son and I are members of Quark but we haven't taken any of the rockets there to fly yet. We have been to Miami Meadows park to fly which is about 6 miles from our house. I guess I might get up the nerve to fly it when it is done. If it flies it will be at VOA. I do have enough parts on hand to build another one.

I remember the original to be a great flying rocket and when I was a kid I flew it the most by far.

Originally posted by laseradam
So far it has has not been a very hard build. Much easier than something like an Orbital Transport. I got the nose cones and transitions from Moldin' Oldies. The tubes and moter mount came from Semroc and the balsa from Hobby Lobby. Plans came from Jimz'

I had to sand the transitions to get them to fit the tubes. I cut the tubes to length by hand, wicked superglue in the ends then sanded them flat. I also cleaned up the decal scan from Jimz's.

I want to do the catalog paint colors so I am still thinking about the best way and order to do it. Painting will be the hardest part by far.

My son and I are members of Quark but we haven't taken any of the rockets there to fly yet. We have been to Miami Meadows park to fly which is about 6 miles from our house. I guess I might get up the nerve to fly it when it is done. If it flies it will be at VOA. I do have enough parts on hand to build another one.

I remember the original to be a great flying rocket and when I was a kid I flew it the most by far.

I flew with the Quakers at Miami Meadows only once. My Big Daddy forgot it's ejection charge and almost skewered the line of cars across the field. Considering the impact, the damage wasn't as extreme as you might have expected, but it still has yet to fly again.
As for the Taurus, you convinced me last night. I just sent Mike the funds for a set of cones and transitions a few minutes ago.

I guess I started something with the Taurus build. Several other people have started working on one also. Mine is in the paint stage. I cleaned up the decal scan in case anyone needs it.

I E-mailed Jimz a TIFF of these decals but I can't upload TIFFs here.

.So the attached file is REALLY a TIFF file, not a jpg. After downloading just rename it back to Taurus.tif

To get the size right when printing, the roll pattern below the cockpit and to the left of the hatch is 19 mm measuring the top segment from left to right. The hatch from the vertical line on the left to the line on the right is 12.5mm.

If you're working on a Taurus how about posting pictures here

I'm trying to get mine built so I can at least fly it in primer this weekend. Any chance of you showing up for the Quark launch on Saturday? I made mine a 24mm Taurus and I'm thinking about using a C11, but a lot depends on the weather.
Did you use epoxy to join the resin pieces? I've heard that little else works, so that's my plan.

Sorry I wasn't able to go to the Quark launch as I was out of town. I do plan on using Epoxy to join the sections together but I am doing all the painting first. Then I will join the sections together afterwards. I have been primeing and painting for about 2 weeks and I still figure I have at least 2 more weeks to go. I always wait a few days between primer coats and at least a week between color overlays. Then probably a weeks wait for the clear coat, decals then futura. So maybe even three weeks.

Adam

Originally posted by laseradam
I guess I started something with the Taurus build. Several other people have started working on one also. Mine is in the paint stage. I cleaned up the decal scan in case anyone needs it.

I E-mailed Jimz a TIFF of these decals but I can't upload TIFFs here.

.So the attached file is REALLY a TIFF file, not a jpg. After downloading just rename it back to Taurus.tif

To get the size right when printing, the roll pattern below the cockpit and to the left of the hatch is 19 mm measuring the top segment from left to right. The hatch from the vertical line on the left to the line on the right is 12.5mm.

If you're working on a Taurus how about posting pictures here

OK, here is my modified decal sheet that includes the black roll pattern for the upper body tube section. There is also a couple of extra black stripes you can use for the bottom BT roll patten. I wasn't able to upload it here because of it's size. Here is a link to download it though, Tarus Decal Sheet- modified.

I printed this out in photoshop and the size was right. There is a little overlap on the roll pattern. I hope to be adding these decals to my clone soon. :)

Also, since I wasn't able to upload here due to size I went ahead and put two sets of decals on one sheet.

Back